Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Munch, Munch, Yum!

This is a quilt I made for my best friend's (almost) new grandson, Archer. He's nearly a year old now and my rule is I'm doing good if I get the baby quilt to the kid before he starts kindergarten. So I'm good. I found the printed Hungry Caterpillar fabric a year ago or so and couldn't decide how to use it. Finally, I sat down with graph paper and pencils and made a diagram of the quilt I wanted to make. So this is an original Barb H design--rarely do I design my quilts. I'm much more confortable using someone else's patterns. Now maybe, if I had a computer design program. . . I took some shots of the quilting on this piece. I did this on my Husqvarna Viking Lily 545 and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Thanks again to Diane Gaudyinski's books for giving me the courage to try this intricate style of FMQ. Since this is all free hand quilting, I appreciate that it's not perfect, and that I will never be a perfect free hand quilter, so don't be too critical. This is a closeup of one of the wings on the butterfly. I used some metalic gold thread as an accent on the wings, the leaf, and the hairs of the caterpillar. In the sunlight, it simply glistens. Here's the leaf with the gold accent in the veining.


And this is a shot of the quilt back with a penny for scale. For once I think the back is as pretty or moreso than the front.


I'm sending a copy of Eric Carle's book, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, along with the quilt. I know Archer and his parents--and his 3 year old sister!--will enjoy it.


Making this quilt was pure joy. As you may know, I've been totally absorbed in political activities here in Wisconsin and I found myself getting extremely exhausted from being outraged at our governor and his shenanigans. Sitting down to work on this quilt took my mind off politics for a few hours at a time and enabled me to relax and enjoy what I was doing for a sweet little boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment