Friday, December 20, 2013

The Winter Solstice




Today's the winter solstice, the time when the earth begins turning to light and warmth after six months of increasing darkness and cold.  I celebrate this day as the beginning of a new season in my life.

This past month has held many changes for me and truly, a new season is beginning. Just before Thanksgiving, I retired from my job and on that day as well, Don and I accepted an offer to buy our house.  This was followed by a frantic search to find a house in Menomonie that suits our needs. We lucked out and found a very beautiful house that will serve our purposes for the rest of our lives.  We are moving out of this house on the 27th and will be "homeless" until the 30th when we can move into the new house.  Every day since then has been spent sorting, cleaning, throwing and packing and we are nearing the end of it.  I managed to finish a crib quilt for my friend's new grandson and got that off in the mail the other day. In the midst of all this chaos, our son graduated with his Masters degree so we spent last weekend in Milwaukee for the ceremony and to have an early Christmas with Dan and Erin and the family. I'm so proud of my son--it's taken him a long time to get this degree but he managed to do it--and he landed a choice job as well!  

Enjoy this shortest day and fill it with things that bring joy to your heart and to your family. 




2 comments:

  1. Whoopeee! The days will start getting longer, I do not like the evenings getting dark so early.
    Sounds as if 2014 is going to be starting off on a high note, hope it continues throughout the year.
    Wishing you a Marry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia. i always enjoy your up beat comments. Let's hope 2014 will start on a high note for all of us.

      Delete