Monday, August 23, 2010

Joy, Joy, Joy

http://theripplesproject.org/

I learned about the Ripples Project several years ago and I get an email from Paul every Monday morning. There are a couple of quotes and a paragraph or two from Paul giving some advice to carry throughout the week. This week, I want to share with you, part of what he has to say.

"We don't always get to choose what happens in our day, we don't always get to choose the people we are around. We can always choose how we respond to these events and people, and we can choose joy even when that isn't our first reaction. Anger is the right choice sometimes and so is sadness, and all the other emotions as well. Just remember that joy is also available to you, waiting for you to choose her. She can transform any ordinary moment into a miracle!"

Sometimes I have to look very hard to find it, but usually, there's something that's positive, even in the worst of times. A frivolous example: I thought I would finish my shawl last night and I was binding off the last row when I realized the I'm short about 10" of yarn to finish the thing. So this morning, I learned how to "unknit" a bound off edge, something I'd not known before. I'm also learning--AGAIN!--to be patient and persevere.

I heard a folktale about a man who arrived at a village riding a donkey. They stayed the night and in the morning, he discovered that his donkey was missing. The entire village searched everywhere, high and low, for hours to find the donkey but there was no sign of him. When they returned to the village, they found the man dancing and singing that he was such a lucky man. The villagers asked him why he thought he was "lucky" since he'd lost his donkey. He said he was lucky because he could have been riding the donkey when it got lost and he would have been lost too!

Joy. Find some today.

2 comments:

  1. My most frequent sermon to my kids was: attitude is 99.9 % of everything. I think it's saying the same thing. Right now I'm watching my sweet dog wasting away. We think she has tongue cancer. She still seems to enjoy life, although she sleeps a lot. I grieve, but I also remember the 12 years of joy she's brought me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The donkey story was funny and made me laugh! After my MIL died I realized that you have to appreciate what you have while you have it for tomorrow it may be gone. Even though we want to move I try and appreciate things right now and we will get to CO in good time. Take care Barb! Lisa

    ReplyDelete