Monday, August 16, 2010

There's been a change in the weather...

And a change in me. I'm not nearly such a grouch as I was the past week when we had terrible weather--hot, humid, cloudy, rainy and stormy every other day. Friday night, the system finally moved out of here and we had a weekend of sunshine and warm, dry weather. What a joy to be able to open up the house after a week of keeping it closed so the AC would do it's thing! I have a theory that some of us are "allergic" to hot humid weather. Don't know if that's really true, but I get physically ill when I have to function in 90 degree temps with 80% humidity. My husband and one daughter, on the other hand, absolutely love that! I think they have some kind of heat tolerance gene that I lack. Well, that's why I insist on having a swimming pool--it cools me off better than any shower or AC can, and it helps me survive in these wicked Wisconsin summers. Winter, now, is my time of the year. The cold, dry weather does wonders for my temperament, the aches of my arthritis disappear and I overall feel very, very healthy. The spouse and daughter cry and complain all winter about the cold and can never seem to get warm. I love winter sports and probably spend more time outside in the winter than I do in the summer. Snow shoveling?--bring it on! Enough of this--suffice it to say that I'm enjoying this warm dry spell and looking forward to Autumn coming soon.

This weekend I didn't do much, other than the usual housekeeping and garden chores. Eggplants are haunting me and I will spend this evening making Rigatoni with Eggplant and Sausage.


One pan to eat for dinner and two or 3 more to go into the freezer for another time. The recipe is available at foodnetwork.com. Corn is also calling me. We have friends who grow corn for us to take for free--can't pass that up--and the ears are ready for picking this week. That's tomorrow night's job--pick the corn and start getting it into the freezer and turning it into corn relish, one of my husband's favorite things. He's done about 20 qts of dill pickles so far with about 20 more coming on the cucumber vines. Yesterday he put up about 15 qts of sauerkraut--the best in the whole world, I think--so the freezer and pantry are getting full of goodness to see us through the winter.

No quilting, knitting, or other needle work this weekend--the garden takes precedent.

4 comments:

  1. I am 100% with you on the weather thing. I have become so weary of the heat! Last summer when it was so cool I loved working out in my vege garden and freezing, canning, trying new recipes. This year it's all a chore. It changed yesterday and the fresh breeze is flowing through the house. yeah!! The pool will cool down, but I can live with that. I love winter too, and winter storms don't trigger FM pain nearly as much as Rain storms. Our corn is coming today - DIL and I are doing 3 bushels. I have to clean up all the toys from yesterday's family invasion first. Slow starting this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering after reading your post. We don't have a garden, but I am so enjoying the fresh veggies and fruit from the local farmer's market. My favorite is fresh green beans, I may try to freeze some before they are all gone. Personally, extreme cold or heat is not for me, we have all four seasons here and I love the fall best of all. Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with ya on the heat. It has been a very unusual summer for us with this heat and humidity. We didn't even put in a garden this year, and I'm kind of glad. I have been waiting to see my favorite raspberry vendor to start putting out the pints and quarts of berries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The heat here has been a real killer this summer. I do like it warm but not hot! We are enjoying some cooler temps now and the air is off, first time since June but it will have to go back on again. I was beginning to feel like I was in jail.

    ReplyDelete