Saturday, October 3, 2015

I'm getting quilt crazy--again!

Arrrrgggghhhhhh!  I can't stand it!  Everywhere I look, I see another quilt that I simply have to make!  I have such a long list of quilts that I absolutely must make, I'd have to live as long as Methuselah in order to get them all done. And not develop Alzheimer's  or some such thing.  What's a gal to do?

This is what's set me off today.  This is from the Moda Bake shop and I just love it!

kate spain canyon fabric

I've been wanting to make an orange peel quilt for some time now and this is perfect.  I will make it out of one of the Civil War repro jelly rolls that I've been saving for who knows what but it'll be perfect in this quilt.  So, the directions are cut and pasted and printed, stapled together and are ready to go into my sewing room, and who knows when I'll get around to actually making this quilt! Aaaarrrggghhhh!

The second thing that caught my interest is this.   Sharon at vroomans quilts posted this house tutorial using 6" nine patch blocks for the body of the house.


I have a stack of waiting-to-be-used either 6 or 8 inch nine patches left over from a guild exchange that will be perfect in these houses.  Sharon included how to enlarge the blocks to accommodate other sized nine patch blocks, so I should be able to figure it out.  Every home should have a house quilt, don't you think?  

In the meantime, I've worked up a half dozen or so blocks for the guild block exchange that I'm in charge of this year.  We're making Barbara Brackman's Civil War Jubilee pattern out of 6 different color groups and then exchanging blocks every month. These are the blocks I've done up--37 left to go!  They go together very easily. The hardest part is deciding which 2 fabrics to use in each block. I've decided that I'm not going to be a stickler for the Civil War fabrics--mainly because I don't know enough about them to know exactly what colors and patterns were used during that specific time period.  I'm just going to ask the group to use fabric repros from the 19th century--nothing from the 20th or 21st centuries.  Don't want any Amy Butler or Kaffe Fassett, or 30's repros mixed in with the 19th century colors and designs.  It should work okay.  I hope.





I've also been diligently embroidering while watching TV in the evenings.  Thank goodness for Netflicks and Hulu Plus!  I only have one Santa left to stitch and this will be ready to be bordered and quilted and put in the Jolly Ruby shop on Etsy in time for Christmas.  




Also in progress is a cover for my daughter's stand mixer.  I'd made her placemats and a table runner out of 30's repro fabrics with a kitchen window valance and now she wants a cover out of the same kind of fabrics.  She's just bought her first house and is wanting to make it oh so nice!

Before I begin working on any of the above projects, I'm going to spend some time today in my flower beds, getting them ready for winter.  That may take the rest of the day since I've sorely neglected them this summer!  We have a beautiful cool but sunny day here, perfect for working outdoors.  I hope your day is beautiful too.







No comments:

Post a Comment