Sunday, December 13, 2015

Stitching and baking day

I know it's Sunday and supposed to be a day of rest, but I have things that have to get done, and today's the day to do them. For me, baking and sewing are fun things to do so I'm looking forward to making a bunch of these loaves of quick bread,  Cranberry-Orange Glazed Bread

Cranberry-Orange Bread with Grand Marnier Glaze Recipe

Barbara posted this on her blog, Cat Patches, which you can see here.  I've not tried this recipe but it looks very good, and I know that Barbara is a terrific cook and baker so I'm going ahead with making 8 loaves of this.  I've decided to give a loaf to each of our near neighbors as well as one for us and one for my friend in Duluth with whom I'm visiting tomorrow. So the baking has to begin today!

Yesterday, I had a delightful visit with my youngest daughter. I'd packed up a tin of Christmas cookies (think "Schweddy Balls") that I took over to her. We met for lunch in a restaurant and were joined by her friend as well.  Jo absolutely loves everything Christmas and it was so good to spend time with her this year.  After lunch, I finished my Christmas shopping and managed a trip to a quilt shop I'd not been to in ages and found a few pieces of fabric I can use in my Civil War Jubilee quilt.

And that's the sewing that will happen this afternoon, after the baking is done.  This month, we are to make 7 or 8 blocks out of greens and I think I'm a little short on that color, so the new green fabrics will be just what I need to make it work. This is the block we're making for the quilt--so simple and easy!


I'm making a couple extra blocks in each color, as are some of the others who are participating in this quilt along, to be made up into a charity quilt for future use.  In fact, I love making these blocks so much that I've pretty much decided to use them to make up an additional charity quilt that I've committed to donating for a group in Bemidji MN next spring.

After I get those blocks done, it's on to making 4 patches of gold and neutrals for Step 3 of



Bonnie Hunter's current mystery quilt. I'm all ready to begin cutting and stitching but haven't had the time to get to the sewing room yet. Today's the day.

But before any of that can happen, Don and I will put the dining room back together. He's been painting the house, getting rid of the dark, dark grayish green that has covered the entire interior of the house and replacing it with light, bright paint. So far I have a yellowy gold in the kitchen and an off white in the dining room and TV room. With the dark oak wainscoting and crown molding and the oak floors, it's looking very good.  He's taking a break from painting for a few days before he tackles the foyer and the bedroom hallway--can't overwork the old man, now can I?

A busy Sunday facing me--how about you?  I hope you have fun things planned on this day as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment