Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Plate mattresses

When she was a preschooler, my oldest daughter, Tessa who is now Lily's mother, came home from her daycare at the end of one day. We got dinner ready and she was helping to set the table and asked why we didn't have any "plate mattresses" like they did at the day care. So, that term stuck. Makes sense when you think of it like a 4 year old.










I found the camera! I used it at Lily's B'day party and put it in a drawer while the girls were in the house. You can tell how little I use the thing! I've just never been a picture-taking kind of person, I guess. Anyway, since I found it, I have a couple pix of the plate mattresses. Here's a close up of the stippling I did in the white part with just in the ditch around the colored fabrics. I love the bright colors and in my last post I said now I HAD to go out and get new dishes. Here's the dishes I've been making due for the last several years. I think it's time for something a little better, don't you?



I only have those two handleless bowl/mugs left from the 8 I started with, and almost every plate and soup bowl as well as the serving bowls has chips in them. I do think it's time. The only pieces that are in mint condition are the cups and saucers--I prefer a mug for my coffee and tea so that explains that. :) But, knowing me, it'll be another several months or maybe even another year before I actually go out and buy the new ones. Procrastinator--but not when it comes to shopping for quilting fabric, etc. ;)

4 comments:

  1. I like your plate mattresses. They're simple and cute. Yes, I can see that those dishes don't owe you anything anymore. You're allowed to go out and buy more. I'm a terrible cheapskate and and have had a couple of expensive sets of dishes over the years, but the last set I got at Ikea. They're simple and go with everything. I forgot to tell you that sister Donna went to the oncologist on Mon. The Dr. told her this is very slow growing, and she won't need any kind of attention for another 10 - 15 years. Needless to say, they are ecstatic! Rhoda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the "Plate Mattress", that is cute. Yes, I guess it is time you got some new dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news for Donna! If a person has to have a cancer, a slow growing one is a good one to have, right? She has time to truly enjoy every minute of every day, as we all should. Barb H

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb, welcome - so glad you are up and running! Nice to catch up with you and I love your plate matresses! Lisa

    ReplyDelete