Friday, October 22, 2010

Favorite Things Friday

Wow! How do I choose a favorite thing for this day? There are a lot of things I really love, like my husband, children and granddaughter. Oh yes! I just thought of my favorite thing today.

I'm so greatful that Don and I have reached the stage in our lives where we've finished raising kids, have paid off (most) of our debt and have a bit of extra cash to play with. I love to travel but haven't done nearly as much as I would like to. Don usually travels only to golf courses unless I pitch a fit and force him to go on a vacation with me--and then he loves it! The best we can do is plan a vacation where he can bring his clubs and spend some time on the course while I do what I like and then we do some things together. We spent a week in Bayfield WI (one of my favorite places in WI) a couple of years ago with Lily and while he played golf on a most beautiful course, Lily and I went to the beach and enjoyed Lake Superior. Everyone was happy!

So, this year, he's going to spend a week or so with family and friends in Florida in January, playing golf, of course! I've decided to take a trip as well and what we've worked out so far is a long weekend in Chicago with 2 of my kids coming in from Milwaukee and Austin and Tessa and Lily and I taking the train from here. It's not too often that all of us can get together and I can't wait for the trip! Lily is 6 1/2 and interested in science and nature so we'll go to the Shedd Aquarium , The Field Museum and if we have time, the Adler Planetarium. She's going to love it, and since I've never vacationed in Chicago--just passed through on my way to somewhere else--I'm going to love it as well.

So, my favorite thing this Friday is a winter vacation with my family in the Windy City! (I know, I know. Some of you are cringing at the thought of winter in Chicago, but hey, when you live in a cold climate, you have to embrace it and not let it stop you from doing what you like!)

5 comments:

  1. Your winter vacation plans sound absolutely lovely. Doesn't matter how cold it is when you're with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like it will be a great vacation, lots to see and do and especially good being able to spend time with your family.

    I would be going to Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sound of Chicago thrills me no matter what the season because I've never been there.

    Your vacation plans sound terrific. How lovely that you'll be able to spend time with your kids and grand daughter. Take a coat and have a blast! Will you be officially retired for this trip?

    Thanks for sharing this for FTF !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have great plans! It's fun getting the family together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like fun! Don't know when you're going, but I hear it's really pretty during the holidays. We've talked about taking the train to Chicago for a few days but haven't done it yet. I'd love to hear how your trip goes!

    ReplyDelete