Thursday, November 17, 2011

Little Miss Cranky Pants

That's me these days. Cranky to the max!  And I don't know why. It could be the annual holiday stress season hitting me. I realized how stressed I get over the holidays when I quit smoking about 15 years ago. I would be fine the whole year and right about Thanksgiving time, I would start thinking about cigarettes, and looking at them in the store, and actually start craving them again. It would continue through Christmas and New Year's and then suddenly be gone.  After that first year, I learned that I had been a stress-reducing smoker.  Each year, the craving and obsessing would be less and after about 5 years, it was gone. But the stress remains, apparently.

Could I be cranky because Wisconsin is once again in political turmoil and I've plowed right into it, full speed.  I'll be involved for the next couple of months in gathering signatures on the recall petitions and that's a stressful activity in itself.  I meet Saturday with other volunteers to plan how we're going to hadle signature gathering in our little area of the woods.

Maybe I'm crabby because I'm having a second surgery on my wrists tomorrow, but I don't think so. The first one--on my dominant hand to boot--went very well and I'm very pleased with it. My left wrist isn't as bad so it should go even smoother, but still . . .

I'm particularly cranky at work. I love my job but I'd rather be back home, working on quilts, embroidering, cooking and baking and even cleaning, can you believe!  I just want to nest in my home and be content.  Don and I have done so much work on the house and yard and we're nearly finished with the entire house remodel, and the yard and gardens are as complete as landscaping ever is, and I want to spend more time there.  I received a comment from a co-worker yesterday that didn't sit well with me at all. Something that indicated that the work I do here wasn't actually needed.  Excuse me!  I would NEVER say that to another worker about the work he/she does--it's all valuable work that the public appreciates very much. 

At any rate, there are many reasons why I'm feeling so cranky and I'm not really sure what the true cause is--probably all of it.  I just know that I don't like being Miss Cranky Pants and I have to correct this attitude and get over it.  When my son was a preschooler and having a bad day, I would tell him to throw those old crankies out the window, and it helped.  I should do the same.  Maybe after the surgery tomorrow, I'll be better.  Maybe a little Vicodin will help. LOL (Actually, that stuff is like a sugar pill for me--I've never felt any effect from it like others have.  Tylenol is just as effective for me.)

Well, I feel better for having vented a bit about all of this. If anyone bothered to read all of this, I hope you have a great day and I intend on doing the same.  OUT THE WINDOW, DAMN CRANKIES!!!

2 comments:

  1. It must be something in the air. Maybe it's from all of those crankies being thrown out of the windows but I know what you mean. I know it's hard to overlook people and their bad manners but you are important and what you do is important to someone. Good luck with your surgery and I hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know from first hand with you that what you do for the public is very needed and you do it with a real concern for people. Good luck tomorrow and will be nice to see you again in January.

    ReplyDelete