Anyway, that was the way it was last night. When I realized that sleep was going to be hard to find, I got up and spent a few hours in the sewing room. By 2 AM I was tired enough and I'd done some extra things in the quilting area that I'd been meaning to get at.
I had made these Autumn colored strip blocks as a trial for a quilt we'll be making at the Guild retreat in October. The quilt will be made from strips of yellow and gold and will be given to a Guild member who has a serious illness, so I knew these sample blocks weren't going into the quilt. I think they make up a cute table runner--I just have to sandwich it and quilt it up and it'll be ready to go into the Jolly Ruby shop.
I also prepared this Halloween panel for sandwiching and quilting--again, it will go into the shop when it's finished.
I'll use this candy corn fabric for backing and binding. Sorry the flash made it so bright.
Earlier in the evening, I completed this pieced back for the quilt top that my friend, Bonnie, and I made last January to donate to her chapter of the AAUW for their silent auction fundraiser in early November. I have to get it quilted up and the binding machine stitched on early enough so Bonnie can hand stitch the binding and finish it up in time for the auction.
This is the finished quilt top--a spiral of flying geese made up in 30's reproduction fabrics. I thought I had enough of the green polkadot fabric to make up the back, but no--I was about a half yard short. So yesterday afternoon I made the 50 mile drive to the quilt shop in hopes that they would have more of the fabric. Lady Luck was on my side! They had 2 yards left, so I bought all of it. I think I can make a couple of pillow cases out of the extra.
So, this quilt will be sandwiched tomorrow along with the table runner and Halloween banner when I go to the Leisure Center here in town to use their big tables for the pinning. Even though we now have a very nice laminate floor in the basement, (instead of a crappy, stinky old carpet!) there's no way I'm crawling on my hands and knees to pin quilts! Working on a table is difficult enough for me--stretching to pin the center of a bed sized quilt takes enough of a toll on my lower back!
Earlier in the week, I'd played with my crumbs and made up a couple pieces of fabric to use in a zipper pouch. The Guild always does a gift exchange for our winter holiday party and this year, we're to make a zipper pouch with a surprise of some sort tucked inside. I was teased a lot this past year for all my crumb sewing--and many guild members brought me crumbs from their sewing throughout the year, so I decided that a crumby zipper pouch was the way to go. We're also asked to make a second pouch that we'll use in a sale in the spring. I have so many crumbs, I think I'll just go ahead and make the second one out of crumbs as well. Or I could use some of my overflowing bag of selvages instead. Hmmm. Decisions!
So, that's what's been happening in my sewing room lately. I'm pleased to be getting some of these projects finished and off the sewing table, but there's a whole pile of other projects just waiting for me and whispering, "Choose me! Choose me!"