Friday, May 20, 2016

Making up for being so lax at posting

Whoa!  I didn't realize it's been nearly a month since I last posted!  So much has been happening in my life, I don't know where to begin.

I think in my last post, I was getting ready to fly to Portland ME to spend a week with my daughter and granddaughter while Tessa had surgery.  (She did very well, thanks for asking.)  Yes, I did that, with no complications on either flight--thank goodness!--except I had 3 hour layovers in Detroit both ways so I got well acquainted with that airport.  Although I had a smart phone and a Kindle Fire with me, I chose to people watch instead of playing games or checking Wastebook, as my blog friend Marie refers to it. So interesting to see so many different people hurrying on their way to somewhere or from somewhere.  I did pull out the embroidery I'd worked on while at Tessa's and managed to get it finished after I arrived home.  BTW, embroidering on muslin with batting behind worked out just fine and I won't hesitate to do this again.

I also worked on making some AG doll clothes while I was in Maine. Some dresses:


Tights are made from women's knee high socks--so quick and easy.

Only one twirly skirt although I have fabric for several more. I'll make a coordinating T shirt for this skirt.

I also made a pair of slacks to go with this sparkly gray and black sweater I'd knitted before.

When I got home, Done presented me with the clothes rack he'd made to hold the AG doll clothes. It works like a charm! And it only took a length of PVC pipe and some connectors!

I spent 2 afternoons making 4 more blocks for my Farmer's Wife quilt.  The first 3 took about an hour to make--paper piecing is not my strong suit, although I'm getting better--I think.  

This block, Bride, however, was way more intricate than the others and when I finished with it, I realized I'd spent 2 1/2 hours making it!  Fortunately, I like how it turned out or I would have been screaming!

I've been working on the quilting of this table quilt that I made as a guild challenge a few years ago and never got it quilted up.  I've finished the center of the quilt and only need to do the border. I think I'll stitch some feathers in the border to keep that skill alive and well.

I also finished piecing and quilted up this throw quilt that I'd intended to send to a fundraiser in Northern MN where my college friend is active in a shelter for homeless families.

 I finished the quilt and decided to pretreat it in order to get out the pattern markings that I'd done.  Well, one pretreatment and laundering and the marks were still there. Second pretreatment--with Oxy!--laundering and the marks were still there. You can see on the pic below how the mark shows up on the white where I missed the line as I stitched.

Finally, I went on line and discovered that the Jelly pen that I'd used is permanent on fabric and is intended for use on paper. There's no way I will ever get those marks out!  Damn it all! I'd even tested the pen on a scrap of fabric and scrubbed it and most of the mark came out on the test.  But not on the quilt.

What to do? What to do? My husband, bless his heart, generously donated the throw quilt I'd made him last year, seen below. I washed it up and it'll go out in today's mail.  I really like how this turned out and I hate to see it go, but I know it's for a good charity. Besides, now I have a reason to make another stack and whack as I've been wanting to do. Meantime, he's happy with the marked quilt--it will do just as well keeping him warm on cold winter nights in the TV room.

So, I've been a busy, busy lady. I know I 've done more things, but enough for one post. I'll try to be better at posting as things occur, but I'm sure you know how life can be. Now I have to get that quilt to the post office!

No comments:

Post a Comment