Sunday, April 16, 2017

He's up!


Happy Easter!

Image result for easter images\


Every year at Easter time, I remember a skit Garrison Keillor did on the Prairie Home Show many, many years ago. I heard it one time and never heard it repeated.  Maybe the audience objected to it as being sacrilegious, I don't know. As I remember it, the skit is about Holy Week in Lake Woebegone and how the priest of Our Lady of Perpetual Responsibility was able to get some assistance from the young priests in training at the seminary at St. John's nearby.  This was in the 1970's when there was a lot of change, turmoil, and some would say, chaos, in the Catholic church.  The seminarian was a "liberal," a progressive," and that didn't necessarily suit the good Catholics of Lake Woebegone.  Father Emil gave him the honor of performing the sunrise service at the church.  As it came near to dawn in our favorite little town, the church gradually filled with parishioners until there were no empty seats. When the time came to begin the Mass, the young priest-to-be stepped out onto the altar area wearing not the robes and other garments a priest usually wears, but jeans and a T shirt printed with an image of the Lord on waterskis, and the caption, "He's up!"  

So Happy Easter to anyone who takes the time to read this, and I hope your faith is restored and strengthened because, indeed, "He's up!"  Easter here at my house is extremely low key this year. No visitors, and no going out to dinner or even brunch. Just Don and me here but I have a very good smelling dish in the slow cooker--lemon and garlic chicken breasts--that I'll serve tonight with a baked potato and some cooked asparagus. I would love to have a bite of coconut or lemon cake for dessert, but neither Don nor I need that indulgence.

Our daughter, Jo, had mentioned coming home on Friday night for an early Easter dinner, but I said, no, I probably wouldn't be in much condition to cook or entertain since I was scheduled for surgery on my thumb that morning.  And I sure wasn't in any shape to have anyone over that night, not even my youngest child.  The surgery went very well and I'll have a cast on my thumb until I return to the doc on the 25th.  I took two doses of hydrocodone on Friday and on Sat morning I said, "Nuts to that!" and only took a dose of Tylenol.  Since then, I've not needed any pain medication of any kind. 

Boy, that hydrocodone is nasty stuff!  It took away any pain I had in my thumb/wrist but it absolutely knocked me out.  And when I woke up from it, I felt like I had a hangover, and I definitely thought I'd left that feeling behind me when I moved out of my 20's. No thanks!

Yesterday Don and I had a wonderful Easter/Birthday lunch with good friends but by the time we were finished, I was exhausted.  Ha is from Viet Nam and he and his wife, Carol, invited us to go with them next year on a trip back there. Don served a couple of tours in the war in Viet Nam and we're both really excited about taking this trip.  So, we have about a year and a half to make plans with them and get it all pulled together.  

Needless to say, nothing is happening on the quilting front, other than I finished the last of the embroidered blocks for Bless My Garden and when I'm finished with this post, I'm going to cut the squares so I can begin appliqueing the embroidery to the rust colored fabric.  

So, once again, Happy Easter!


No comments:

Post a Comment