Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Almost a week!

When I checked the date of my last post, I was amazed to see it's been nearly a week!  I had every good intention on blogging every day if possible, but I guess I just got caught up in all the things that have to be done before surgery and totally forgot didn't take the time to post.

I'll try to catch you up on the most recent events of the past week. Had my last appt with the ortho doc and now I'm set to go for the surgery.  I'm anxious to have this done so I can get on with rehab and returning to normal life again.

Youngest daughter Jo spent the weekend with us and insisted on going through 4 boxes of photos we'd been meaning to organize. Well, she did it!  All the duplicates, blurry and otherwise bad photos have been pitched and the rest organized into packets for each of us in the family. She even went to Walgreens and had a bunch of duplicates made so each of us will have copies of some of the pix.  Now, she wants to get some scrapbooks and thinks I'll have a great time putting all these pix in scrapbooks while I'm recovering! I think she'll have to be the one to do that--scrapbooking is definitely not my thing.

I finished kntting a pair of socks for Tessa's Christmas, shown here: 


Tessa's lost over 100 pounds during the past year and a half and finds herself cold a lot of the time, so I thought hand knitted wool socks would be just the thing.  Jo also has cold feet all year round, so she's getting a pair of socks too. I've nearly finished the first one of the pair and will get the other one finished while I recuperate.


I also made two sets of pillowcases over the weekend, the garden trolls for my niece and Namaste for Jo:






In between the sewing projects, I managed to cook up the last of the tomatoes into pasta sauce which is now in the freezer, harvested the remaining beets and carrots from the garden and they're in the frig, and today I'll get the last of the jalapenos in the dehydrator and call that job done.

Back to the sewing room.  I finished making 3 sets of these nifty potholders, which have pockets for your fingers, for my friend . . .


as well as two microwave bowls that she asked for. Elaine and her husband are crazy about cats and I had just enough of the red white and gray cat fabric left over to make up the two bowls.  Elaine and I have a deal:  She makes draperies for my house, and I make quilts for her.  Win, win!


I didn't think a few potholders and microwave bowls were enough payment for the window coverings she's making for me, and when a fellow guild member showed the camper bag she'd made from this pattern, I knew I had to make it for Elaine. She loves to get out of town in the camper and they're  gone nearly every weekend from snow melt to snow fall and I thought this bag would be perfect for her. I changed the colors a bit and I'm really liking how mine is turning out.


This is the front of the bag I'm making. I found some really cute flower buttons that I'll stitch on the green foliage by the door. I'm debating if I should put window panes in the door and window. Can't decide.


This is the back side of the camper bag.  Again, do I want window panes?  And again, flower buttons for the foliage. I also got a pack of smallish bumble bee buttons and I think I'll put one above the appliqued cat.  I added the cat--cut out from a scrap of cat fabric--since they really, really love thier cats!


This is one end of the side panel of the bag.  There is a section of green and then orange on each end of this panel with a cream section in the center and that's where the zipper is.  The green and orange will match the fabrics on the front and back of the bag and the cream panel with the zipper goes over the top of the camper.  Handles attach to the top as well.

I couldn't just leave this section unadorned and as I glanced at the garden troll fabric, well, of course, I had to add the trolls to this side of the camper bag.  I have the other side to embellish and don't have a very good idea of what to put there.  I think I have some fabric that has tiny quilts on it and maybe I'll add, not a barn quilt but a camper quilt.  I also have one more flower button and could add foliage and the button and maybe another bumblebee.  I'll let you know what I decide.


I also have this pattern for a table runner or wall hanging that I want to make up for Elaine. I think she'll really like it, especially if I make the canoe in a shiny silver fabric that I bought for something and then decided not to use. It'll be perfect for the canoe. But that will have to wait for a month or so until I can handle the stairs.

Image result for quilted camper table runner

At any rate, I hope to get the bag finished up today and then prepare the batting for the 3 additional Quilts of Valor I have waiting for me.  I'd like to get at least 2 of them ready for binding before I go under the knife and can't get to my sewing machine. 

So, I've got to get busy with the jalapenos and then move into the sewing room to do what I like best!













No comments:

Post a Comment