Monday, January 7, 2019

I've had quite a wild weekend!

I haven't posted for the past 3 days because I've had to deal with some medical issues which took a lot of time, but fortunately turned out to not be serious.  Thank goodness for that!  I have too many quilts yet to make to turn up my toes yet!

And I'm pleased to announce the first finish of 2019!  I put a list of tops to be quilted on the right side bar, and I hope to make a dent in them during the next 12 months--11 1/2 months is more accurate, I guess. I finished stitching the binding on the music quilt I made for my husband.  We hung it up on his wall this morning and I think it looks pretty good.   Unfortunately, it's by a window so there's a bit too much light in this picture, but I think you can see it pretty good.



Below is a photo of the quilt as I was working on it at my machine.  Don and I went to a quilt shop at least a year and a half ago and he got so excited when he saw these fabrics. The lighter one that I made into snowball blocks as well as the black fabric with bright colored musical notes which I used along with some scrap white fabric to make up the 9 patch blocks.  This wall quilt finished about 50" by about 35" so it's good sized for a wall quilt.  


You can't see the quilting designs at all, but I did a simple diagonal cross in the black squares, a four petal orange peel design in the white squares, and I used a stencil to quilt up a design in the snowball blocks.  I always have difficulty deciding on how to quilt up the border and I simply resorted to a meander using black thread on the black border.

I can't say it's one of my better quilts--by this time, I simply wanted to get it finished and up on his wall--but Don'\s very happy with ts and that's what matters, right?  AND, I get to count it as a finish!!!

Today, I had planned to make some progress on the Meals on Wheels placemats but I got an email from my daughter in Maine about a fundraiser my granddaughter's music group is holding in February. It's a silent auction and my first thought was "I can donate a quilt!"  Then I thought of the tops I have in the closet and decided that none of them would be appropriate. Nuts!  So, I don't have time to make up a quilt to donate--BUT, I could make up a set of placemats and napkins in time, AND, I have a set of fabrics that I bought for that purpose but put aside and never used. Perfect!  

I also found a simple and free pattern here that will be very quilck to make up. I'd like to have a set of four made up and ready for hand stitching so I can take them with me when I fly out on the 11th.


I've got to get a move on if I'm going to get these finished enough to take them with me. Bye!



1 comment: