Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Lily will get her new quilt today.

It's finished.  I started working on Lily's new quilt last September and it's finally done.  I used mostly fabrics from my stash that Lily's mom, Tessa, had bought to make a quilt, which she never did, and a yard or two that I had to buy to get the variety of colors.  The quilt measures 67 by 90 inches and is a generous twin sized piece or a little-bit-skimpy full sized cover.

I did a Disappearing 4 Patch block, one that I've always liked but had never tried. I really like how it turned out but it's a labor intensive block so I may not use that block again for a bed-sized quilt.  I like all the bright colors in this quilt and I think it will brighten up Lily's bedroom for many years to come. 

Today is very sunny and "relatively" warm outside but there's way too much snow on the ground and everywhere to take it outside.  The 3 season porch is flooded with sunshine today so that's where I took the pix.

 The is the top of the quilt. I used the same floral-with-white-background fabric for each block and used the various colors in the flowers for the contrasting fabric in the blocks. 

I appliqued flowers, leaves and vines around two opposite corners of the quilt. Stitching these appliques is what gave me such a hard time with thread breakage, but yesterday, I took my time and managed to finish that part.  Then I simply did a meander in the white part of the borders. Binding was pieced together from scraps.

This is the quilting design in the blocks of the quilt. I used Golden Threads papers and a varigated thread. I like the heart design. I found it here:  http://www.patchpieces.com/2001quiltingbom.html.  Thank you Patti R. Anderson for posting these quilting designs.  I just did a simple vine and leaf free hand design in the sashings.

Finally, this is the back of the quilt. I thought I had enough of the multi-colored flower squares fabric but as you can see, I did not and a little piecing was called for.  I like it and Lily can use either side of the quilt on her bed, as she chooses.

Tonight is my quild night and I'll take it for show and tell, then pop over to Lily's house and give it to her.

This quilt was more laborious than I'd expected. I had hoped to have it on Lily's bed before Christmas!  But when she's seen the quilt in it's various steps along the way, she has seemed to like it a lot. That makes all the work worthwhile--a happy smile on the face of a child.  I know she will snuggle warmly in it for a long, long time, and I hope she thinks of her Nana when she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment