Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Brussels Sprouts

Yep.  Brussels Sprouts.  I picked the last of them from the garden yesterday, cleaned 'em up and cooked some for lunch.  I like this vegetable but couldn't say it's one of my favorites--until yesterday.


I tried "Carmelized Brussels Sprouts" and OMG!, they were soooo good! Even Don tried one and declared it was "not bad."  (That's saying a lot for him about this veggie.)  Here's what I did in case you want to try them.  I sliced each sprout and set it cut side down in a little hot oil in a frying pan for a couple of minutes.  Then I added a little water and covered it so the sprouts would steam.  I like my sprouts softened so I steamed them about 4 or 5 minutes, but you can do more steaming or less, depending.  After they were cooked the way I like them, I took the lid off, added maybe a tsp of butter, and let the cut sides finish browning (AKA carmelizing).  Then a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, a pinch of salt and a grind of pepper, and Voila!  A delightful dish!

And now the veggie garden is finished and ready for winter--except we have to go to our neighbor's house and get a load of goat poop to spread on the beds. Oh Joy!

I finished a Christmas table runner for my Etsy store, Jolly Ruby.  I really like it so if it doesn't sell, I'll be happy to use it myself.


Today I have to bake a cranberry-pumpkin-pecan upside down cake for a Halloween pot luck at work tomorrow.  We're supposed to dress up in costume for the day, but I won't. I'm the grumpy old lady who thinks that Halloween costumes don't belong in the work place, but I guess I'm in the minority where I work. Oh well, I'm still not putting on a costume.  It's all I can do to get washed and dressed in ordinary clothes on a work day!

After cake baking, I'll be back in my sewing room, working on more Etsy projects before I go into town to man the phone banks, encouraging folks to be sure to vote next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment