Monday, September 30, 2013

The rest of the trip

Since I returned from my mini vacation in N MN, I've been on the go every minute and it doesn't look as though it's going to end any time soon.  I thought I'd finish up with some pix from the trip and show what I've done in the quilting room since I returned home.

I stopped at a new favorite quilt shop in Grand Rapids MN on my way home and picked up these coordinating fabrics to make up into place mats, and maybe a runner as well, to use during the holidays.  Even though I make lots of placemats, I don't have any that I can use at this time of the year, so now I will.


On the way to the resort, I stopped at an old favorite quilt shop in Floodwood, MN. This place is overflowing with precuts and every time I stop there, I'm tortured by all the choices. I'd like to just make my home in there and start using all those beautiful charm squares, jelly rolls, and layer cakes. At least, I don't think I'd gain weight with these kind of baked goods. ;-)  This time, I bought 4 of the charm square packs of Warmth by Moda, and I got some coordinating fabrics to make a red-white-blue quilt which I've been wanting for some time.


While I was at the cabin, I worked on this little table runner that I'm making as a fundraiser for the Guild. We were given 1/2 yard of fabric that the guild had purchased (I chose the red) and had to make up a small item that we'll have for sale at the mini quilt tour in which my guild is participating in November.  I pieced it and quilted it and when I returned home, I made the binding and sewed on a few sparkly snowflake buttons that I had on hand.


I tried making a two sided binding on this runner and I'm very pleased at how easy it was and how well it turned out.  I'll be using this technique more in the future, I'm sure.



I also began working on a Halloween table quilt/wall hanging while I was in the cabin.  I think this will go into my Etsy store and if it doesn't sell, I'll keep it for myself.  I'm thinking of making a pieced border using the leftover fabrics from the hourglass blocks and then finish it up with another border of the black polkadots.


I really like this fabric--cute and not too scary. And I like the combination of colors as well.


And lastly, I finished up my first pair of hand knitted socks. I've been wanting to try making socks for several years, and I enjoyed making them so much that I think I have a new addiction!  I have enough yarn left over to make a third sock, I think, so I'll have a spare when I need it and I can also use it with some other sock I've yet to make. I heard that the new trend these days is to wear unmatched socks. I can do that too!


I've been wearing them a bit so they're a little stretched out. They are sooo warm and comfortable, I'll be wearing them all winter, I'm sure.   Now, where in the world did I put the second skein of sock yarn that I bought last spring so I can begin on a blue pair.


 That's it for today.  I have a large number of tomatoes and bell peppers that need my attention as well as gardening chores that are calling me.  And with luck I'll be able to do a bit of sewing as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment