Monday, September 16, 2013

Wow! What a summer!

I last posted an entry on this blog back in March, nearly 6 months ago.  No, I haven't been laid up in bed with consumption or the vapors or any other kind of chronic disease. I've been SUPER BUSY! ! ! ! !
Today, I have a chance to sit down a bit and try to figure out how to explain all that's happened without boring everyone to bits (but that may happen anyway. Some things are beyond my control. : 0 )

March flew by with Don and I cleaning the house and getting it ready to go up for sale. And we shoveled and plowed the last of the winter snows.
  
Snow_shovel : Amazing snow removal - people shovelling snow after snowfall

April was filled with joy as our youngest daughter, Jo, arrived home from her 2 year stint as a Peace Corps Volunteer. And we shoveled and plowed the last of the winter snows.

Snow_shovel : Amazing snow removal - people shovelling snow after snowfall


Late in April, I was began a new part time job with a one hour commute, while continuing with my old job.
In May, I began working a 3rd part time job ( and quit my original part time job ) which was just a "few" hours a week and would only run through August.  And we shoveled and plowed the last of the winter snows.

Snow_shovel : Amazing snow removal - people shovelling snow after snowfall


I don't remember June, July and most of August because I was scrambling to do all this work--which had numerous deadlines to meet--and still try to stay even somewhat sane. Please don't ask my  family if they think I was successful at this or not. At least, it stopped snowing sometime in May and Don was able to plant and tend the veggie garden.  Sometime in August, I did attend a machine quilting show in Milwaukee--Oconomowoc, actually, but that's real close to Milwaukee. :) --and took a couple of terrific classes and am just another wee step toward making an outstanding show quilt. (Yeah, right!)

I finished the summer job ahead of schedule and now I have only one part time job (with the hour commute both ways) and am now winding down to the point where I took the time to go back and read the blogs that I'd ignored for so long and finally today, when I should be canning tomatoes and making applesauce, I am putting together this entry.

As you may know, I "retired" from my job back in 2011 so why the hell did I work 50 hours a week this summer?  Sometimes I think my brains have been replaced by that lint and fuzz that builds up in the sewing machine!

At any rate, I'm currently coordinating a mini quilt show that my guild is doing as part of a fundraiser for the domestic abuse shelter in Menomonie and that's taking a bit of time. We have a team of truly excellent people who are taking on responsibility for many of the areas that need to be worked on so I don't have all the work to do myself.

Anyway, on Thursday, I'm heading for the woods of N. Minnesota for a long weekend at a resort.

Photos of Kohl's Resort, Bemidji
                                                       This photo is courtesy of TripAdvisor

All by myself. Leaving the hubster behind to fend for himself.  Taking my machine and a couple of projects, my Kindle Fire, and my favorite foods to cook up at the cabin.  Meeting up with old college friends whom I treasure.  The plan is to sleep when I want for as long as I want, same for sewing and reading, and do whatever the hell I feel like doing whenever the hell I want to. I love those kinds of vacations!  This is the reward I promised myself as I toiled away all summer, and I'm going to enjoy every minute!

If I can get a few brain cells to engage, I may remember to bring my camera and lap top so I can post some pix of my mini vacay.

Time to get a few quilting projects organized to take along.

No comments:

Post a Comment