Friday, October 3, 2014

Big changes are a'comin'

This is how I'm feeling these days as we prepare to take Lily to Maine to join her mother.  Pretty sad person.  Don's sad too.  We are going to miss her terribly.

cemetery mourning angel


As you may know, my daughter took a job opportunity in Portland ME and moved there in the middle of last July. Lily stayed with us while Tessa got settled. Well, she's finally found an apartment and Lily is so anxious to move out there!  She has missed her mother terribly, and Tessa tells me that she's missed Lily terribly as well.  We're taking Lily out to Maine in a couple of weeks so there's lots to do before then!

Lily was born before Tessa was married so Don and I have been very involved in raising her for these past 10 1/2 years.  I have seen Lily at least weekly for most of her life, and there have been extended times when they have lived at our house due to various factors like divorce and job layoffs.  I feel as though I've been Lily's second mother so now, although I know it's the best thing, I feel devastated knowing that I have to turn her over to her mother completely.

Actually, when you think of it, that's such a very good thing.  Tessa is finally in a place where she can financially take care of Lily with very little assistance from us ( I still plan on paying for the piano lessons, of course!) and Lily has grown up to to be quite an independent little lady as well as a big help to her mother!  So, it's good that I'm not as needed as I once was.

It's still going to be a huge change in my life--and Don's too. We were talking this morning how we were going to handle this change, and I think the best thing for me is to get more involved in community groups as I'd planned on doing when I retired.  I have quilting, of course, but I think doing some other things as well will be helpful.

Change is part of living, isn't it?  It's just hard when you have to handle it.  I know that all of us will be better off making this change, but it means some major adjustments for me. I know I can handle it even though I'm so sad right now.  I think I need to go to my sewing room--working with beautiful fabrics always makes me feel better.






1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel Barb since we were in a similar situation with our grandson,Super E. I missed him terribly at first when they moved , but we settled into a different kind of relationship after a while, more like grandparent and grandchild than second parent and kid. Being a true grandparent is a lot of fun.

    You've supported Tessa and Lily to the point where they are ready to be totally independent and thats just awesome!

    ReplyDelete