Saturday, May 9, 2015

Finished Embroidery!

This morning I finished the embroidery for the Farmhouse Window Sills quilt from Crab-Apple Hill. Yea! This was the project that I've been working on while I've been unable to work at my sewing machine. I had hoped that it would last throughout the rehab and it pretty much has. I'm planning on going to the machine this afternoon if I have the energy.

So, do you want to see what I've done?  Huh?  Do you?  Of course you do, so here it is! These are the 4 blocks that I embroidered.  I was a little intimidated before I began this project but found after a few stitches that it wasn't nearly as difficult as it looked.  The most difficult stitches were the dimensional flowers made with bullion stitches. I'd only practiced this stitch in embroidery class several years ago and I found it difficult and painstaking to get the flowers to look right. There are 3 of them in the blue forget-me-nots and 3 more in the hydrangea. But I worked at it and got them done well enough to satisfy me, and that's all that matters, right?

Wild Roses, Raspberries and Jam

Queen Anne's Lace

Poppies and Forget-Me-Nots

Hydrangea, Lily-of-the-Valley, and Bleeding Hearts

Yesterday I had a follow-up appointment with the ortho doc (all is healing well, he says)  and afterwards, I drove to my favorite quilt shop which carries a lot of 1930's fabrics which is what I had thought to use to finish off the quilt. Well, we couldn't find anything that looked quite right, so we went to the batiks.  This shop, The Busy Bobbin in Rice Lake, has the largest selection of batiks I've ever seen in a shop!  And we found what I wanted for this quilt.

Here's a picture of the pattern. I'll be making pinwheels, adding the flange or inner border, and of course, the outer border. Frankly, I don't like how the company finished off this quilt. It looks too busy to me and I think all the colors of the pinwheels and the floral pattern in the border detracts from the beautiful embroidery.

I chose the green leafy batik and the golden dotted batik for the pinwheels. They'll all be the same unlike the pattern which made them multi-colored.  I thought the dark aqua for the flange and the multicolored floral batik for the outer border.  When the embroidered blocks were placed on these fabrics, they looked amazing!  I can't wait to begin finishing off this quilt!

First, I have to do my exercising and go for a walk, finishing up with a session of icing my knee. During the icing, I'll be watching an episode of "Lark Rise to Candleford," a BBC production that I found on Hulu Plus.  By then it'll be afternoon and I hope to have the ambition to go downstairs and get in some machine sewing for the first time in over a month!  I can't wait to get that machine humming!


  1. Beautiful blocks! Congrats on finishing up the embroidery. I think your fabric choices are really going to accentuate the blocks. Hope you've been able to get back to the machine just a bit.

  2. A beautifully planned and completed project ( the embroidery squares). Way to go, sister. This is going to be so gorgeous. Hope you got your machine humming again.