Monday, April 27, 2015

Physical Therapy!

I think this cartoon is funny and fortunately, it's not the experience I have at my therapy sessions!



I just came home from my PT session and am feeling really great!  But tired as well--she really works me hard when I'm there!  Last Friday when I was there, she put me on the stationary bike to see if my knee would bend enough to go all the way around. When Don had his knee replacement 14 years ago, I remember him saying how painful it was to go all the way around on the bike so I was prepared for a struggle.  Pfuuut! I had no problem!  Went around the first time on the bike and I can't tell you how happy that made me!  At the end of the session, she bent my leg back and measured how many degrees of flexion I could get--the goal is 120 degrees--and I was right there at 120!  And that made me even more happy!  Don had a terrific rehab when he had his knee done but I never expected I would be recovering even better than he did.  I know that everyone is different and progresses at their own rate, but I'm absolutely amazed at how well I'm coming along!  I seldom use the crutches I have here and on Friday I was able to drive again!  Freedom!!!

So if anyone reads this who's thinking about having a knee replacement, my advice to you is to be prepared to work really hard on the rehab, make sure your pain medications are adequate, and push yourself as much as your therapist allows.  I knew going into this that if I pampered myself, I would not have a good recovery, so I've been very strict and have forced myself to do the home exercises even on the worst days.  Now it's paying off, big time!

We had visitors over the weekend and I ate meals sitting at the table with my leg down.  That's not a good thing yet!  I know that I'm a few weeks yet away from getting back to my sewing machines so I'll continue with the embroidery project that I'm working on.  I've finished 2 of the 4 pieces and I'm really pleased with how they're turning out.  Take a look for yourself. (Just ignore all the wrinkles.:) )


This is the first piece I did--bleeding heart, hydrangea and lily of the valley with a bumble bee.


The second one is Queen' Anne's lace.


I started the third one yesterday and it's wild roses and raspberries with a jar of jam. 

This series is called Farm House Windows and it's designed by Crab-apple Hill stitchery.  I love how the fabric is softly colored with ordinary crayons and then outline stitched.  Just adds more dimension to the entire piece.  

When the fourth piece is complete, I'll stitch all four of them into a throw sized quilt using a neutral background and probably with aqua and green pinwheel blocks and a multicolored border. Or maybe I'll make a pieced border using all the colors of the flowers.  We'll see what my heart tells me when the time comes.

Have a great day, everyone. I'm going to take a bit of a nap.

2 comments:

  1. Your embroidery is gorgeous Barb . Whatever you do with it - its going to look fabulous.

    Glad to hear your recovery is progressing so well too- you must have had a great constitution and level of fitness to start with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful embroidered blocks!

    PT is one of those good/thing bad thing deals. Glad you are progressing so quickly. My daughter tore her ACL last August, then did almost 6 months of PT.

    ReplyDelete