Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Jolly ruby projects

Yes, I'm back into working on the quilts I took with me to the Spring retreat. And I'm recovered completely from that wonderful weekend.  I've run into a couple of other retreaters who have volunteered the same thing--they had to take a few days to recover from all the laughter and friendship that we experienced at retreat.

So what have I been doing this week?  On Sunday, I met daughter Jo at a coffee shop in nearby Stillwater, MN, one of the most charming little cites ever!  I had to give her the brown and cream wedding quilt that I'd made for her to give to her friends.  She'd seen pictures of the quilt and liked them so I knew she'd be pleased when she actually held it in her hands.  However,  She pointed out that the fishing lure fabric didn't really fit in with the quilt.  Awww!  I thought that was a comic touch. I don't have any pics of that fabric, but, oh well, the quilt is finished and it is what it is.  No matter the fabrics used, it'll still bring a lifetime of snuggling to the newly wed couple.



I also did some work on the watermelon table runner--and finished it!  It's for sale at Jolly Ruby and you can take a look for yourself if you like.   Here are the top 4 panels,


The pieced backing with more slices of watermelon,


and these cute little ants as sashing between the blocks. 


I've also been working on a Red-White-Blue table runner that will also go into Jolly Ruby.  


I found this bit of patriotic fabric that's the perfect size for the backing, and there's enough for backing on the second one I'll be making as well. I have lots of red, white, and blue fabrics left so I'll be using them up but I'm not sure if I should make another, similar table runner or use the fabrics in placemats.  


My goal for today, since it's a cool and rainy day, is to finish this quilt and get it posted in the Jolly Ruby store.

What else have I been doing?  Well, about half of the windows in the house have been cleaned, so that's a big accomplishment.  No, I'm not going to leave the rest dirty, I just haven't done them yet. I've been thoroughly cleaning the house, room by room, and can only do 3 or 4 windows at a time.  So I'm making progress but have a bit of a ways to go yet.  It'll get done, not to worry. (as if you would worry about someone else's dirty house!  Ha ha!)

I also have been writing on the computer,  notes from last night's Quilt Tour planning meeting.  As you may or may not recall, the local domestic abuse program here in Menomonie has once again, asked the local quilting groups to participate in the Quilt Tour scheduled for November.  It's like a garden tour where you go from one garden to another, but in the quilt tour, you go from one church to another--4 sites in all--to view the various quilt shows.  It's a fund raiser and has been very successful in the previous 2 shows and we hope to make it even more successful this year.  I've been charged with obtaining a keynote speaker to kick off the tour. So far, I'm not having any luck, but it's still early days.  We did have a discussion about whether or not to have a wine tasting at one of the sites. The local winery is donating a basket of wines for the raffle and asked about having a booth.  We decided not to do that, but I tell you what, a glass of wine would be very welcome at the end of the day!  

In the 2 previous quilt tours, I've been in charge of my guild's show but this time, I thought I'd turn it over to someone else.  This year, I'm working with another guild member, Jo, in organizing and running a shop of things the members have made over this year.  Zipper bags, quilted potholders, table runners, pin cushions, etc. Small things that don't cost a lot and don't take a lot to make up.  I'm making a dozen or so outfits for 18" dolls like American Girl, and am having so much fun doing that. 

The other thing that has kept me at the computer this morning is researching and writing an article for the guild newsletter. I write one each month on something to do with quilting, usually historical. This month it was Amish quilts and how they have developed over the years.   

I think I'm finished with my computer chores and can get on with finishing the red-white-blue.  If you want to leave a comment as to what you think I should do with the leftover fabric--runner or placemats--I'd like to hear from you.  


No comments:

Post a Comment