Friday, September 24, 2010

My favorite season

Yesterday, it was cloudy but not raining as I drove to work, and I pondered the beauty of Autumn. Here is N WI we are seeing the leaves turning colors and when you look off at the hills that surround my house, there is predominantly green still, but clusters of reds, oranges and yellows are appearing. Sumac is turning deep red--almost a merlot color. Ragweed is brilliant yellow in all the ditches and some fields. There are purple asters blooming here and there as well. The corn fields are nearly all golden and almost ready for harvest and the soybean fields are moving into their brown color and getting ready for harvest a little while after the corn. The hay/alfalfa fields are still bright green and I think the farmers may get a bonus cutting this fall.

Even in the cloudy weather we've been having, the colors of Autumn are shining. On a sunny day, it just takes my breath away! I wish we could have Autumn all the time--clear, intense blue skies, the maple reds and birch yellows against the forest greens of the pines, crisp dry air (warm in the day and chilly at night). When I was a girl, there would be the scent of wood smoke on most days as folks burned their leaves, but that's not allowed now. I've always loved Autumn for it's beauty and for the sadness that accompanies that beauty. You know that the changing colors in the leaves and in the plants means they're getting ready for their death or dormancy and that the world will soon be barren and covered in a blanket of snow. I always feel poignant about life in the Autumn and savor each shortening day to the fullest. In this season, I want to be in my home instead of in my office, so I can enjoy Mother Nature in her last glorious days before the end.

By noon yesterday, it was pouring rain. That continued all day--sheets of rain falling ALL DAY LONG! But it was surprisingly warm while it was raining! When I got home, I checked the rain gauge and we had well over 2 inches with more coming down. I think it stopped sometime last night but this morning, everything was still wet so I don't know if it rained again over night or if that was left over from yesterday. I knw that all the trees and bushes need this rain if they are going to survive the frozen drought during the winter months, so it's really a good thing. We've had 7 years of below average moisture here so I know we need all the rain we've received this summer, but enough is enough! Soon the rivers will be overflowing--one small creek that I cross on my way to work had already broken over it's banks by this morning.

Enough of all this weather talk. Today is cloudy and warm again but windy so I'm hoping these clouds will blow out and we'll have a sweet weekend. Planning on going to Duluth on Saturday and if it's sunny and clear, it will be one wonderful day!

5 comments:

  1. I love Fall too. It's my favorite time of the year. We're still pretty green here in lower mid Michigan. A few trees are starting to turn though. Hoping the wind and storms we've been getting don't blow the leaves away before we've had a chance to enjoy the color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just picture it, Barb! From our Wis. home we could see about 12 miles into the Wis. river valley. The colors would just knock your socks off! This is my favorite time, when there is still mostly green with patches of color. As Karen said, it's just starting here, looking forward to it's full beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You paint a lovely picture! I love the vibrant colors you describe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn is truly lovely. Cooler days after the scorching heat of summer and nature really turns on a visual feast.

    It's Spring here and yesterday I took some time out from my busy day to sit outside for a while just soaking up the sun.(Yep I was at work - I took it outside with me!)

    Thanks for linking up to FTF. I love your description of fall.

    P.S. Are you counting down the days to retirement yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds lovely, Barb! I love Fall and can't wait for the leaves to begin turning. Visiting from FTF. Thanks for sharing. Happy Friday! :o)

    ReplyDelete