Tuesday, June 1, 2010

It's Finished!

Yesterday, around 9 pm, I put the last stitch in the auction quilt and threw it in the dryer to tumble and get out the cat hair, lint, thread bits, human hair, and all the other assorted debris that collect on a quilt during the process. It's at work with me today and I will take it to the gal in charge of the auction at lunch time today. After so much work, I really hope it brings a good price--it's for a good cause.

I feel as though I've been running a marathon, working feverishly to get this done on time. I don't think I'll start any new quiltng project for awhile--I'm pretty burnt out right now. It's into the weed pa--um, flower garden--I go now, to get things up to snuff in the outdoors. I have loads of pots to plant up, bushes to dig and transplant, and new things to plant as well. I think I'll be kept busy.

On Saturday, Tessa was weeding in the front flower bed and discovered a small nest with one very small blue egg in one of the red barberry bushes in there. She didn't see the bird but we thought it might be a gold finch since we have a lot of them at the nearby feeder. Over the weekend, she looked at the nest a few more times and by yesterday, there were 3 eggs in there. Today, before I left for work, I took a peek and Mama was sitting on the eggs--she's a Chipping Sparrow, nothing so glamorous as a Gold Finch, but a good sturdy little bird to have in the yard. We'll have to leave that flower bed full of dandelions (Awwwww) until the little ones fledge, hopefully in only a few weeks.

2 comments:

  1. We have had a sparrow in a house by the side of the garage for 5 years or so. This is the first year they aren't there. They may be common, but they're life and I enjoy watching them - especially when they learn to fly. I'm sure it's a great relief to have that quilt done. I don't sew in the summer as much, either. When you can only be outside 5 months of the year, you take advantage of it when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fun to have a finish. I have had a few finches in our yard this year, haven't seen a nest yet. cw

    ReplyDelete