Friday, September 22, 2017

I'm really in a pickle

As I've mentioned several times, Don and I are leaving on Monday evening to take the train to Olympia WA to spend some time with our son, Dan.  This means that a lot of things have to get done before we can leave.  With his typical impeccable timing, Don left this morning to spend 3 days at his high school reunion.  So, I've been trying to crank things up and have been working really hard to get things done.

Yesterday seemed to be very productive, but when I think about it, I only accomplished a few things.  First of all, I made up a batch of crock pot soap. I use an old cupcake pan as a mold and after I got the soap in there, it had to sit overnight.


This morning I  got the soaps out of the cups--with difficulty, I may say!--and now they're on the rack to dry for 24 to 36 hours.  Then I can wrap them in brown paper and get them ready to pack up for the trip.  I don't use any colorant when I make soap, but in this batch I added some lime and bay rum scents so Dan will "smell purty" when he uses it.


While the soap was cooking in the crock pot, I went outside and planted the three mums I'd bought on Tuesday.  I love the dark wine red flowers and all three are the same color.  I always try to get plants with a lot of unopened buds so they'll be blooming longer when they're at my house instead of at the nursery.


Below are the three bushes planted in the newly revived bed at our front entrance.  We put in three rose bushes last spring and I'm sorry to say, they aren't doing very well.  I also dug up some day lilies from the back yard and planted them around the edge and although they are small, they're doing quite well.


Next, I want to add a few pumpkins and put up the Gourdy's Gang hanging and call the front done. And, before you ask, no I didn't get any more done on Gourdy yesterday.  Maybe today.

The other thing that used up a lot of my time yesterday was my trip to the doc for my pre-op exam.  Everything's fine but it simply took a lot longer than I'd expected and by the time I got home, the afternoon was  gone and it was time to fix some supper.  I made "Breakfast for Supper" which Don and I do every so often. Last night I made sausage, egg and cheese breakfast burritos which turned out pretty good.  I made 2 extra ones and they are snug in the freezer and will come with us on the train. When it's time for breakfast on our first day, they'll be thawed and ready to eat.  I put some of the green tomato salsa on mine, and it's really, really good!

Before I descend to the sewing room today, I found a few more things to do first.  When I was at my friend Bonnie's house on Tuesday, she shared a variety of pickled veggies she received from her friend, including pickled rhubarb. It was very good, and reminded me of the watermelon pickles my mom used to make when I was a child.  Bonnie sent me the recipe this morning and I got started looking for other things that can be pickled.  Wow!  You can pickle just about any fruit or vegetable, and some meats as well, like pickled herring and pig's feet, but I don't think I'll ever have pig's feet in my house.  I chose several recipes (for veggies) and put them in a folder so I can find them again next spring when the rhubarb and asparagus are ready and I'll make pickles out of those two things for sure.

Today, however, I made a batch of pickled carrots and pickled green tomatoes. I've never had either so it'll be interesting to see how they turn out. Each recipe made 3 pints and they're in the water bath now and in about 10 minutes, they'll be ready to come out. I"m not a big pickle fan but for some reason, the thought of a tray of these pickles and some cheeses really appeals to me.  Next on the pickling agenda is watermelon rind pickles--want to have them done before the trip--and some pickled beets which I'll make after we get back home.


I have to do a bit of house cleaning spread out over the next three days so I don't wear myself out (HA!) and some laundry, but the rest of the day is mine to do with as I please.  Yea!


No comments:

Post a Comment