Sunday, September 10, 2017

Row 4 completed!

I can't believe how much progress I'm making on the row quilt, PPP.  Yesterday I made the four blocks for Row 4 and it's ready to be presented in January.  I only have Row 5 and the paper pieced corner blocks to go and I'll be all set.


The colors look very bad in this photo, but from the left, they are blues, pale green and pink, brown and gold, and two different greens.  I really like how these rows are coming together and think this quilt will turn out very well.  

Yesterday, I also wrote up directions for the applique row and I'm posting them here to get some feedback from you readers. Please go over the directions and let me know if I've missed anything and if the directions are clear.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to draw diagrams and pictures to include so it's only written. This is the picture that's supposed to be in the empty box below.



Row 3—Past President’s Project 2017


Row three of the Past President’s Project for 2017 is an applique row.  Shown above is the one I made for my  quilt.  I had no directions for this—basically free-handed it—and you can do the same.  I fused the applique and stitched it with black thread and buttonhole stitch, but you can use any method of applique you choose.  If you wish to embroider this row in a similar design, feel free to do so. 

I’m including the templates of the flowers, leaves, bird and berries for you to use. I used a variety of fabrics—scraps—for the applique.

Directions:
Cut a piece of background fabric measuring 49 ½” by 9 ½”.  After appliqueing, you will trim this down to 48 1/2” by 8 ½”. 

With an temporary  marker (watersoluble, Frixion pen), draw a  wavy line through the center of the piec, lengthwise,  for placement of the vine.  Make about 44” of green vine using your favorite method. It doesn’t have to be bias if your curves are gentle enough.  I cut 1 ½” of green fabric and pressed in about 3/8” on each long side. Then I folded the long sides together so all the raw edges were enclosed, except the ends. These will be hidden under the flowers on the ends of the row.  Pin the fabric vine along your drawn line and then stitch on both long sides.

Using scraps, cut out 6 flowers and 6 contrasting flower centers, 10 leaves, 15 berries, 1 bird and 1 bird wing.  The bird and wing can be reversed on the row if you like--it really doesn't matter which way the bird faces. If you’re fusing the applique, you want to trace the designs on the fusible and then fuse to the wrong side of your fabrics.  If you’re doing needle turn applique, you want to add seam allowance on all sides of the design. You can make a French knot for the bird's eye at this time, or sew on a tiny button or place a heat bonded crystal after the quilting has been done.

Place your applique pieces on the vine as illustrated above and when you’re pleased, fuse them to the background piece. Stitch down with buttonhole stitch, satin stitch or whichever way you prefer. I used a small satin stitch in black for the vines by the berries. Tiny rick rack would look good as well.
Trim the piece to 48 1/2” by 8 ½” and you're done!

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

So, please tell me if I need to make corrections and additions to the directions.  Thanks so much.

Today, Sunday, is going to be a laid back kind of day for me. A quick trip to the store for a few groceries, then I'm going to be in the sewing room. I decided that instead of moving on to Row 5 of the quilt, I'm going to tackle the paper pieced blocks. As I have said "several" times in the past, paper piecing is NOT my favorite thing to do. I love the way a paper pieced block looks, with it's precise points and all, but I always struggle with actually doing the block. I personally think it's a right brain-left brain kind of thing and my brain refuses to be wired properly for paper piecing. However, I'm challenging myself with this quilt as well as challenging the other guild members who may struggle with applique or some other technique that I've included in this quilt.  Isn't that how we learn--by expanding into areas where we're a bit uncomfortable?  I think so and that's why I designed this quilt to incorporate 3 different quilting techniques. And that means I have to tackle the paper piecing. I'll let you know tomorrow how it turns out.

Don worked all day yesterday, making a double batch of his salsa. By evening, he had about 20 pints and 4 or 5 quarts of salsa canned and ready to be shelved when they cool.  He would have finished sooner except that he had to take a break in the afternoon to watch the Badger football game! Priorities, I guess.  

This is entirely his baby--I personally don't care much for salsa except occasionally on eggs or in a Tex Mex wrap of some sort. So he makes all of it for himself.  For many years, I made corn relish--as much as 40 quarts some years!--which Don ate almost exclusively. He loved that stuff!  I didn't love all the prep work that goes into it, but I did it myself until the last couple of years when he helped out a bit.  So now, if he want something like salsa that I know I won't be eating, he can make it himself!

I'd better get going or the day will be half gone. Wait! It already is half gone!  What's with that?  











No comments:

Post a Comment