Thursday, September 21, 2017

Nearly a finish

I got a lot done yesterday, but not as much as I'd have liked.  Mountain of laundry:  Done and put away.  Hair appointment:  Done and I look beautiful. Hah!  Chaga: Still brewing. I'll take it out in about an hour.

I actually spent some time in the sewing room yesterday afternoon, making this pair of pillowcases for my son.


I'd found the printed fabric on a shop hop last June and thought it would make up into nice pillow cases for my son who's going through a difficult time right now. I like the sayings on the fabric and hope he'll be able to hear the whisper of angels' wings occasionally.  The dusky green I'd had for another project and there was enough for the pillowcase cuffs.  I'll take them with me when we go on our train trip next week!  Yikes, it's coming up fast.


That means I have to get the batch of soap done today so it'll be ready to take with as well.  I make my soap in a crock pot and that way it doesn't have to cure for weeks as it does when you make it using the "cold" method.  It only takes about an hour and a half to make in the crock pot and that will be enough time for me to go out front and get the mums planted, another thing that needs to be done before we leave.


Last night, while watching PBS's "Viet Nam" series, I finished the hand embroidery on Gourdy's Gang as seen above.  I had to stitch some spider webs, teeth and spider legs.  I also secured the tiny pupils of all the eyes with a French Knot to be sure they wouldn't fall off eventually.  


Here's a close up of the little spider. I think he's so cute!  I gave him glittery eyes, which you can barely see in this photo, by making the French knots out of a super glittery floss I got from Cosmo flosses.  

Before I can hang Gourdy up by the front door, I have to make some tabs so I can hang him up, and at the bottom, I'm going to add several "tongues" as shown on the pattern. And, of course, I have to bind the entire thing as well.

So, today's list of things to do includes:
     Making soap
     Planting mums
     Working on Gourdy
     Grocery shopping--should take 1/2 hour at the most.
     
Before we leave on Monday I also want to make up another double  batch of the green tomato salsa but that can wait until tomorrow.  I also decided while I was waking up in bed this morning that I'd like to finish up a little table quilt that I pieced while in Alabama last winter and it just needs to be quilted and bound.  Dan will be alone in Washington at the holidays and probably would like a little something to give his home some Christmas cheer.  We're hoping he can fly home for a few days, but that's not sure yet.  But either way, I think I'll get that done up for him and bring it with as well.

So--another busy day facing me and I've got to get started.


No comments:

Post a Comment