Monday, September 11, 2017

I'm waiting to hear from you


Yesterday, I posted the directions I'd written on how to do the applique row for the Past President's Project and asked for feedback from anyone who reads this blog. You can take another look at the post here if you like.  I've never designed anything before, much less written directions, so I really need input on it.  Before I present it to my guild, I want to be sure the directions are clear and follow-able, if that's a word!  I'm counting on you readers to be my focus group, so please let me know what you think.  Believe me, I'll appreciate all your comments and will incorporate your suggestions if I can.  I know you're busy so I'm trying to be patient. After all, I don't need to have this done until the beginning of December, but the sooner it's done, the sooner I can lay it aside and move on.

And yesterday, indeed I did move on. I made two of the paper pieced corner blocks for this quilt. Here's one that I'll be using.  It turned out to 6.5" exactly!  Yes!



This one, however, did not turn out to be 6.5" exactly.  It measures 5.75" exactly!  What's with that?  I'm going to check the size of the foundation papers I used to make sure I printed them out properly and will try again today.  If it still comes out too small, well, I'll send an email to Marcia Hohn of Quilters Cache to let her know. And then I'll have to choose another block. On second thought, maybe I'll just go ahead and choose another block and be done with it.  On the other hand, I really like how this block came out and yes, I should try to make it the right size. Wish me luck.


Other than making these two blocks--which took me a total of 3 hours!--nothing more was accomplished. I had the television on periodically to see what was happening in Florida and gosh, my heart goes out to the people there.  Getting their lives back together will take a long, long time. Mostly my heart goes out to the folks without insurance or the resources to buy or rebuild new homes--what will they do?  Maybe people who live in such low lying areas, prone to hurricanes and flooding, should consider moving north. Our blizzards are nothing like what I'm seeing on TV now. Yes, we do get tornadoes, but I tell you, I've lived in MN, WI and ND all my life--and that's a pretty long time-- and have never experienced a tornado.  Just something to think about.

Today will be a little busier than yesterday. The pool guys are coming this morning to shut down and close up the pool, so Don and I have to do some prep work on that before they get here. I have an appointment this afternoon with the new orthopedic doc to get scheduled for my knee replacement surgery--in October, I hope.  And more work on the paper pieced blocks.  Harvesting the garden is also on my mind, but I'm determined to get the paper pieced blocks done first.  Tomorrow will be soon enough to dig some potatoes, beets and carrots and get them to the food pantry.  Or maybe I'll continue in my sewing room.  ðŸ˜‹

1 comment: