Thursday, January 5, 2017

What to write about today?

You know, when I decided to try to write up a daily post, one of the things I discovered was that it forced me to look for positive and fun things that were happening in my life. ( I've been trying to hide the fact that I often get very frustrated with things and tend to dwell on the negative. Which I know is not good.) Today, I'm having difficulty finding something to write about that will be more on the positive side than the negative. Not because my life is filled with negativity now--it's not!--but that life seems to be a bit humdrum and quite ordinary.  And probably boring to read about.

So, I'll share with you what yesterday was like and if you nod off, that's fine. I won't mind. Sometimes I nod off when I think about my life too.  Yesterday, I switched out sewing machines and tried the FMQing with the little old machine I call Lily. What a champ she is!  I'm still having a little tension problem but nothing like on the fancy dancy machine!  Nothing I can't live with, I think.  At any rate I was only able to quilt up two blocks before it was time to meet with Naomi and Becky from the charity to hear about their complaints over the Quilt Festival.

I wasn't looking forward to that meeting, but I knew I had to meet with them before I call together the Festival team to take a look at planning the next one. Well, the meeting went about as I thought it would.  There were quite a few accusations that the Festival (which is my brain child!) caused problems for the charity we were fundraising for.  I was able to address each accusation in a calm and rational way and pointed out how each one was totally unfounded.  In retrospect, I think they had been looking for reasons to step away from the Festival and just do their own thing. They are of the opinion that since we didn't generate any revenue this (first) year, that there was no point in trying again.  I pointed out that we actually were only $20 from breaking even and if we'd had even 2 or 3 more participants, we would have been making money.  So close!

I could go on and on, as I'm a bit upset over the whole thing, but like I said, I don't want this blog to be a venue for my ranting.  I've emailed the Festival team and shared with them the gist of the meeting. With luck we'll be meeting next week to make some decisions about 1) do we want to do another festival? 2) do we want to fundraise for this charity or should we choose another one? and 3) do we want to wait 2 years to hold the Festival in conjunction with the Quilt Tour or should we try to create our own quilt show and hold the Festival in 2017?

Lots of decisions to make as to where we go with this.  I'll keep you abreast on things as they develop.  In the meantime, I'm on the 3 person committee to have a display of quilts at the local public library in April this year.  We got the idea last year and thought it would be fun to make quilts that are associated with books. Like "Shakespeare in the Park"

A Judy Martin Pattern, Shakespeare in the Park, from book The Creative Pattern Book:

or the "Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar"

Image result for hungry hungry caterpillar quilt pattern

or my entry, "The Secret Life of Bees" which I've embroidered and sewn and is waiting to be quilted up.

In addition to the display, we'd like to offer a quilting class, and I'm not sure yet what it will be but I favor making a Log Cabin table runner using Little House fabrics.  I don't know what the others think, but I'm sure they'll have some great ideas.  I'm pretty excited about this exhibit--it's the first time our guild has done this and if it's a success, I'd love to see it be an annual event with the library.  I'll keep you abreast on that as well.

Today, I'm going to take down the rest of the Christmas decorations--Don took down the tree the other day--and then I may take a trip to Eau Claire. I need some new jeans and they're on sale at my favorite store right now, and I also need more dark green embroidery thread for my stitchery.  Which I worked on last night, by the way, and am quite happy with the progress I'm making on it.And of course, I'll have to pick up some groceries while I'm in town.  If there's any time left, I'll continue to work on quilting up the log cabin quilt.  The blue and white one.  ;p)

So, another fairly humdrum day in the life of Barb Hauck, but Hey!  we never want too much drama in our lives, right?  No worries here!

No comments:

Post a Comment