Monday, December 10, 2018

Holiday festivities are in full swing!

That's the excuse I'll give for not posting for a couple of days.  As I may have mentioned, daughter Tessa has been here for a few days and I've been spending time with her. We were invited to my niece, Wendy's, house for Saturday and Sunday, and I can tell you, it was a wonderful time.

Wendy and her husband, Steve, bought this house a few months ago and this is the first time I've been there, and oh, what a wonderful house it is!  It's perched right on the banks of the St. Croix River, a National Scenic Waterway, and the views, even in the winter, are spectacular.  It was very cloudy Saturday night but Wendy says the night sky with all the stars shining is truly amazing!

This is a pic of the side of the house facing the river.  It reminds me of a cottage in one of Grimm's fairy tales. :)

Image may contain: house, tree and outdoor



This is the same side of the house last summer when it was listed for sale. Wendy says the yard is all overgrown and neglected and she's really anxious to get her hands dirty next spring and begin  restoring it to it's former beauty. There are stone patios and terraced gardens hidden in the weeds and I'm sure it will be spectacular when they clean it all up.

Image may contain: 2 people, including Barbara Hauck, people smiling, outdoor and nature

I had to include this pic of me and Wendy with her lovely dog, Greta, outside at the stone grotto that Steve has claimed as his outdoor man cave. It's cut into the stone of the bluff and includes a fireplace with a baking oven and a grill to cook a pizza or two, as well as stone benches along the walls.  Wendy hung a Hudson Bay blanket over the door and it stays really cozy in there when a fire's going.

We had a lovely evening with everyone--other daughter Johanna joined us for dinner, and two of Tessa's friends, Beth and Erin, also came over--and we had a few bottles of wine and beers for the men, everyone liked the sauerkraut dinner I'd brought, and we shared family stories with our friends and there was much laughter and merriment.  

Sunday morning, tho, we had to get up early to get Tessa to the airport in time to catch her flight home.  Don and I agree, and so does Tessa, that this was the perfect visit--she had time for us, time for herself, and time to spend with friends, and on Sunday, she was ready to go home to her own family.

We just came home after dropping off Tessa, and I had a very lazy day, trying to recover from Saturday. (smiles and laughter) In between reading chapters in my latest book, I managed to wrap all the Christmas presents and today have to get them in a box to ship to Maine.  

I've been watching the Poldark series on Masterpiece Theater for several years now and last spring I began reading the books.  I'm on book 7 of the 12 in all and I just devour each book.  But today I have to be a bit more productive.  Groceries to get, pack up the Christmas box, and begin working on the remaining 6 potholders I promised to make for my friend, Elaine.  I've put all sewing on hold while I have this cast on, but I think I can do some cutting out and simple sewing, at least I'll try.

So that's what my weekend has been like. I hope yours was filled with merriment as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment