Saturday, December 22, 2018

Onward to meet the quilting challenge

Sometimes I feel as tho I'm a hamster in a cage--the faster and harder I go, the more I seem to stay in one place. At least when it comes to making quilts.  I have a huge list of quilt tops that have been waiting to be turned into bed covers, in some cases, for years!  As well as having I-don't-even-know-how-many WIPs and UFOs, each one of them calling out to me to give it some attention.  I don't like to work on more than one project at a time except if I'm doing leaders and enders so what happens is I'll begin a new quilt, get distracted by another project, and forget to come back and finish what I'd just started. 

Today, I had planned to do either the potholders for Tessa so they're ready to take with when I go to Maine in January, OR quilt up the wall hanging I promised to Don at least a year ago OR begin making up the duffle bag I promised to have ready for the next guild meeting, Jan 8.  So what do I do?  I found a child's quilt that I'd begun nearly 2 years ago, didn't like how it was going, and set it aside, only to hear it whisper at me from time to time. 

After I'd made the 2 little boys flannel quilts that will go to the children's shelter I remembered this girly quilt I'd begun and this morning, I hauled it upstairs to the dining table to take a look at it. I'd found this pattern in the March/April 2016 issue of McCall's Quilting magazine and thought I could use up some stash, always a good idea, don't you think?



I had this lavender fairy print left over a dress I'd made Lily when she was about 4 years old--with a pink and white striped pinafore, it was so cute!  I digress.  I had enough of this fabric left over to use as the focal print in the quilt, and I raided my stash for the other colors and made up most of the companion blocks.  


These are the blocks laid out on the table. When I was working on it 2 years ago, I decided I didn't like how the coordinating blocks were looking. The colors were too saturated and I thought pastels would be better. So it all got put away, until this morning.


Taking a look at them today, I kind of like how it looks.  So I just have to make up a half dozen blocks and put them together and it'll be ready for quilting up.  I'm sure some little girl will really like having a fairy quilt! 

Other than that, I made up the last loaves of Cranberry/Orange bread and Don will deliver them this afternoon, keeping one for ourselves.  We have Johanna's dog here for 2 days while she's visiting in Milwaukee and then she comes home for Christmas Eve and Day.  Until then, I'm simply going to relax and enjoy a couple of days of quiet--except for the dog, of course.  

No automatic alt text available.
Fergie
I hope that you too can have some peaceful times this season, and can enjoy a bite of fruitcake (or chocolate) from time to time.  


No comments:

Post a Comment