Friday, December 28, 2018

Post holiday fogginess

Image result for post holiday fog

I don't think I'm the only one who experiences post holiday fog, but I've not heard anyone speak of it.  It seems as though these days between Christmas and New Year's have me in a mental fog.  I have little recollection of the events of these past few days--I've simply been going through the motions of my normal activities. I think I put out so much energy with taking care of the dog and with Johanna's several day visit, that I simply shut down a bit.  Today I think I'm ready to take the reins again and move into the third and last of our December celebrations. 

Image result for beautiful winter day

This afternoon we pick up our son so he can spend a week with us, having a late Christmas.  He's on the plane as I type and will be here in the house by mid-afternoon.  I'm so looking forward to seeing him again--even tho I was with him in Washington last October. I spoke with him on Christmas Day and I felt really bad, knowing that he was by himself so far from family and friends.  He seemed in good enough spirits, knowing that we were waiting Christmas for him.  

He (and Don and I) got the best present ever on the day after Christmas--he received the final details of the job he'd been offered here in Wisconsin, and he accepted the total offer.  That means that this time next month, Dan will be living back here in Madison, WI, settling in to a new job and town but knowing that friends and family are only a short distance away!  What parent could get a better gift than knowing that your child is making a great move for personal and financial improvement!

When I'm finished with this post, I'll be doing a bit of housework, getting ready for his arrival, and then into the sewing room to finish the bag I began several days ago.  This is the pattern that I'm using--I like it because there's no zipper!  I can do zippers but if I can avoid them, I do.  : )  

I thought it would be a good size for the kids to carry their stuff instead of a trash bag as they do now. I'm talking about kids going into foster care--when they are removed from their homes, or moved from one foster home to another, they often don't have a bag to put their things in and have to use a garbage bag.  Kids have said they feel as tho they are garbage too.  As a guild we thought making these bags would be a good charity project for us.  Haven't decided yet how many we'll make--have to see what we can find when we hit the discount fabric store.  


Anyway,  this is the bag as far as I've got it. I chose to use a velcro closure instead of a snap.  



This is the bag stuffed with bags and sitting against the wall.  All I have left to do is top stitch all around and make a covered foam board to put in the bottom.


I really like how it came out--roomy enough to hold some jammies and a change or two of clothes, and small enough that a child can carry it.  And because there's batting in it, it just feels darn good--like a quilt!

The plan is to get this finished today before Dan arrives and then I can move on to the next project on the never ending to-do list of quilts.




No comments:

Post a Comment