Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Yesterday was actually fairly productive. I decided to raid the freezer for something easy to heat up for dinner, so that took care of my cooking chores.  Packed up the Christmas package for Tessa, Lily, and Joe in Maine--and this morning I remembered that I'd planned to make pillowcases for everyone and I've yet to do that.  Guess another package will have to be sent out!--made a quick stop at the grocery store for a few things, and spent the rest of the day in the sewing room.

I'd wanted to cut out the pieces for the remaining 6 potholders but I wasn't sure if I could with the cast on my right hand.  Well, I managed to get 4 cut out before my thumb was too sore to continue.  The problem is a piece of the cast rubs against the thumb when I try to use the scissors and after awhile, that gets to be a bit painful.  I'm sure I can get the other 2 cut out today when I go down stairs.  

Then the challenge is to do the pinning and stitching with this club hand!  I'll do my best, but I'm not at all certain if my best will be good enough.  

As you can see, I'm a little short on images today, so I'll share some of the pics I took as I was making the garden quilt for my friend, Marilyn.  I did the embroidery while I was laid up last year with my knee replacement and while we were in Gulf Shores last February, I got the blocks framed in and finished assembling the quilt top.  Here's the embroidery:



I quilted each block with a vine and flower free-motion design,


and a leaf design in the sashing 











Piano key border stitched to resemble a picket fence with flowers. I loved the outer border of red with black and white lady bugs! 

Butterflies . . .

dragonflies . . .



spiders and webs in each of the corners



This is the completed quilt which I gave to Marilyn last April, I think, to give her peace and comfort while she cared for her husband who has dementia. She told me several times that she did feel the love as she curled up in this quilt, so I was gratified.  All too soon, she succumbed to cancer and left our lives last August.  I hope her children will feel comforted when they are wrapped in this quilt.

Now that this quilt is finished, I suppose I can remove the Garden Steps button on my page--but it'll be a challenge for me to figure out how to do that!  



No comments:

Post a Comment