Tuesday, November 1, 2016

A finish!

Did you survive the Halloween festivities?  Trick and Treating was from 5:30 to 7:30 last night and I went down to the sewing room around 5:00 and left Don to cope with the hoards of kids ringing the doorbell. He came down around 6:15 and said he was done. All the candy had been handed out--in less than an hour!  He said they came in groups--up to 10 at a time!  And he had a great time with all the kids, and I had a great time with my mug rugs!

Here they are, all finished.  We'll be selling them and the cocoa set (I'll add 3 more packets of cocoa--one for each mug) as a set.  What do you think?  I'm very pleased with how they turned out. Especially since I had all the fabrics needed already in the house--no need to go shopping!  As you can probably see, I did give in and sewed a button on each snowman's scarf.  I know what I said about the buttons yesterday, but I didn't want to cut circles of fabric and applique them on. Besides, everyone should be able to figure out where to set their mug so it doesn't land on the button, right? The mug rugs finish at about 7 1/2 inches, so should be plenty of room to avoid setting the mug on the button.  Besides, I think the buttons add a nice touch!

Yesterday was really quite a waste as far as getting things accomplished.  When I went out to get groceries, I decided to make a detour to the local GoodWill store.  I've been looking for a used crock pot that I can designate for soap making--and I found it there!  For $7 ($6.99 actually) I got it, and I think it works!  I'll give it a try one of these days and see for myself.  I'm really so anxious to make more soap, but I think I'll have to hold off on that until after the quilt festival.  Then, watch out!

After scoring with the crock pot, I took another detour to the paved walking/biking trail just outside of town, and walked the length of it and back, about 1 1/4 miles.  That may not seem like a long distance, but for me it was challenging. Remember, I've done very little walking for months since I've been sitting at my sewing machine.  It felt very good to accomplish that, and surprisingly, my legs and knees felt okay afterward.

Then I got the groceries and headed home.  After putting them away, I sat down to have a little lunch and to read some in my book.  I can't believe it but after eating, I continued reading and woke up an hour later!  I NEVER take naps!  But I guess I needed one yesterday!  So all of this to explain the lack of progress in making things for the store.

Last night, after all the Trick and Treaters has gobbled up the candy, I came up stairs to have some dinner and a little TV.  I worked on the third of the 4 pincushion embroideries and finished it before it was time for bed. And here it is.  I chose to use a golden colored thread for the bird instead of the red shown in the book because I have some golden colored fabric that I want to use for the body of the pin cushion.

Tonight I'll begin the last of the embroideries, but today, I want to make up the wine totes and get that crossed off my list. Let's hope I don't "read" for an hour like I did yesterday. LOL 

No comments:

Post a Comment