Saturday, February 4, 2017

First week recap

Yesterday was our first week here on the Gulf, and I must say, it's been a very fine week. I've been able to get outdoors several times, and on two days, I needed to wear shorts, it's been that warm.  We've settled into the cottage and I've found nearly everything I need to function here. Don stopped by the neighborhood fish market and we had fresh caught red fish one night for dinner--soooo good! Best of all, I've stayed on course with my plan to work on UFOs before I move on to new things.  I'm feeling pretty darn good today.

Yesterday, I assembled the borders and attached them to the little snowman table quilt. I had barely enough of the snowman fabric and along with the red posts, I didn't have to do too much piecing. This measures about 22" square and I like how it's turning out. I think the black will be a better binding than the red, and I have a lot of that fabric, so not to worry about using it all up.

When that was finished, I took out the next UFO project box--Jo's T shirt quilt.  She's been waiting so patiently for the past 2 years or so for this to be done, and I'm determined to get the top assembled while I'm here and will finish it up when I get home and have my bigger machine available.  I'd already deconstructed the shirts so yesterday, it was pressing and cutting.  I've made several T shirt quilts before and while it's easiest to make identical blocks and to align them in rows, I like mixing it up a little for more interest.  

I have about 6 12" blocks and about 6 more blocks that are smaller sizes.  The smaller ones will get some framing and I'll fit them in between the large blocks. I don't have anything in mind yet. I have to face the blocks with interfacing and then lay them out to get an arrangement that I like. I have both black and a gold fabric that I can use for framing and sashing.  I'm anxious to keep working on this project, but today I'll be at the quilt show with my friend, so I don't think I'll work on it at all today.

Last night, I took out my embroidery and you can see how far I've come on this block. All the water lines and background trees are finished, and they called for a single strand of floss.  The pine branches, sailboat and dock are done with 2 strands of floss, and I enjoy working with 2 better than 1 so I'm happy that I've gotten this far.

But . . . when I picked up the hoop and began stitching, I noticed the fabric was quite loose in the hoop, and I don't like that.  Upon closer examination, you can see what I found.  


My beloved wooden hoop has split and broken!  Woe is me!  I've had this hoop for more years than I can recall, at least 20 if not 30. I love this hoop!   The wood is so smooth, well oiled and worn by my hands over these many years.  I know I can order a new hoop from a shop on line--I'll have to find it again somehow and order one--but I need a new hoop NOW or I won't get Among the Pines finished in time for the library quilt show. So, today, I'll ask people at the quilt show where I can get another one and if there's no place locally, I'll have to force myself to get one at the local Big Box Store.

That's it for today's post.  No sewing plans today--just going to the quilt show which I'm really looking forward to. Maybe I'll find some exciting new fabric at the vendors' tables, whispering to me that it wants to live in my stash. I know for sure, I'll find lots of new ideas as I wander among the quilts.  I'll let you know tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment