Saturday, December 31, 2016

Happy New Year!

Well, it's the day before the BIG DAY! and who knows what kind of shape I'll be in tomorrow morning to wish you a Happy New Year, so here it is today.  "What?"  you ask. "Is she going out partying for New Year's Eve? "  Well, yes I am--in my sewing room!  Hah!  My idea of a good party is me at the sewing machine while dinner's in the crock pot.  And it may go on until the wee hours of the morning!  Doesn't get much better than that in my mind.

The end of 2016.  Wow!  What a year it's been!  Of course, I've been following politics all year, and I can honestly say there have been no two weeks alike!  What a roller coaster!  I hope that 2017 is more settled politically, but something tells me it won't be.  Hmmmm.

I just read another blog where the quilter posted a review of all the quilts she finished in 2016 and it was massive! Although I try to work on sewing/quilting every day, I don't seem to get too many finishes. I began looking back through my posts from 2016 and realized I actually did finish off quite a few pieces--and lots of doll clothes!--but I won't try to post every one of them

Here are a few of the major finishes:

   
Bonnie and I made this for the 2016 AAUW scholarship fundraiser.


I made this to donate to Lois's fundraiser for a shelter for homeless families.  Because I used a permanent marking pen for the quilting design, this quilt is still here and I donated the stack and whack below that I had already finished up.



This is the king-sized Bear Paw quilt I made for my daughter's friend. We designed it over the internet and we both are very pleased at how it turned out.

 This little McKenna Ryan pattern sat in my stash for many years, and  is now hanging in my TV room.

The scrappy Quilt of Valor I made for the presentation on Veterans Day.

My embroidered "show quilt" which has 3 mistakes in it that I found after all the quilting and binding was done, so I don't enter it in any shows. Sigh.

And I made numerous smaller items, like 43 key chain coin purses!  And several table runners, a set of placemats and napkins, embroidered pin cushions, and as stated above, lots and lots of doll clothes! By the way, as you may remember, the doll clothes and some other things were intended for sale at the guild Country Store at the Quilt Tour last November.  This was a fundraiser for the domestic abuse agency here in the county, and I'm please to let you know that together with the proceeds of the Blue Plate Special lunch we also served, we were able to write a check for slightly over $1700 to the program!  We've never even come close to a thousand dollars in past years, so we are very happy.  As is the program, I'm sure!  

Everything I made for the store was sold except for 4 doll outfits.  I'm already working on making a few things to get a head start on the next time we do this. I love to sew and quilt, and do embroidery and knitting, and I don't know about you but I get much pleasure out of using these skills for the good of others.  

What does 2017 hold for me in the way of quilting?  Well, I went back to the first post I made in 2016 and see that I had a goal of quilting up the blue and white log cabin quilt.  

One of the blocks of the scrappy blue and white LC quilt

Guess what?  That never happened and now it's the first goal of 2017!  However, this time the thing is pinned and ready to go as soon as I decide on how to quilt it up.  

I also see that of the 9 quilt tops on my side bar that were to have been quilted up this year, only 2 of them got done.  But, hey, that's two more than at the beginning of the year!  And keep in mind, these are bed sized quilts and take quite a bit of time to get finished.  And also keep in mind, I finished 5 additional quilts of bed and throw size, so give me a little break here, will you?  Actually, I'm the one who puts the pressure on myself to get these tops finished up, out of the closet and onto a bed.  So for this year, I want to get 2 more off that list on my side bar.  In addition to the blue and white LC quilt.  

That's it for my end-of-the-year post.  I hope you are able to say good by to 2016 with a feeling of satisfaction about how your life has gone, and if not, I hope 2017 will be much better for you--and for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment