Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Be gone, Head Cold, be gone!

And just like that, the nasty head cold is gone!  Well, almost gone.  I'm feeling 3000 times better this morning than I did a couple of days ago. Just a bit of a cough left. I'm so happy I didn't have to force myself to go to work as I used to before I retired.

Labor Day.  Ahh. a day of rest for me, for the most part.  I spent time in the sewing room and attached two borders to the AAUW quilt. I have to find a name for that quilt--I'm thinking of "Arcs and Angles" or "Geometry"  since the pieces are all rectangles and right angles, and the quilting will be Baptist Fans, or arcs.  So, lets call it the Geometry quilt for now until I come up with something better.

I couldn't take a picture of the finished top due to lack of floor space, and this morning it's pouring rain outside.  Suffice it to say, I think it's looking lovely and I know the quilting will set it off.  I'm thinking of something fairly elaborate for quilting the 4.5" outer border but I'm not sure what. Feathers for sure, but something else as well.  I think I may make a trip to my favorite LQS today to get thread but first I should check to see if I need to get fabric for the backing. Then I can get it sandwiched this week and begin the quilting. Shouldn't take too long since it's only a throw sized quilt--well, maybe a little larger, I'm not sure.

Here are the final two blocks of my Bee-utiful quilt along that I've been working on all summer.


I really like this barn block with the corn in the field. I added some weeds grass on the left side to give it a little balance. Besides, I've never seen a working barn that didn't have weeds growing along the foundation, have you?  I also chose to forgo the satin stitched pinwheel barn quilt and filled my triangles in with blue and yellow French knots.  They don't show up too well in the photo but I like how they look in person.


And lastly, this cute bunny block.  The bunny appeared earlier in the quilt along as did the cat a few times.  I outlined the fluffy tail as instructed and then filled it in with tiny straight stitches (I think it's called Seed Stitch but I'm not sure) and then a few French knots as well to give it texture and dimension.  The tail is in white while the body is outlined in gray.  I saw on FaceBook where one stitcher had done the tail in "Turkey Work," something I'd not heard of.  It's a stitch where you leave loops above your work and then trim them, leaving a fluffy, chenille-like effect.  


Here's a video if you want to take a look at how it's done. I definitely will be using this stitch in future projects, I'm sure.

Other than the road trip to the LQS, I'll be preparing for tonight's guild meeting, my first as president. Wish me luck, but wait!  No need for luck--this group of quilters is so outstanding that I know they will be forgiving as well as helpful if I stumble or make a left turn or something.  What's on your agenda on this first day after the weekend?  School or work?  Or more play?  That's my choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment