Thursday, September 22, 2016

It's Autumn!

Image result for autumn pictures

My favorite time of the year!  I love the warm but dry days of Fall and the chilly nights that mean I get to sleep under a quilt and not on top of it.  I love the changing colors of the leaves--but not so much the raking of said leaves.  I love the bright colors of the Fall flowers.  I love the vegetables of Fall--squash, pumpkins, potatoes, carrots, parsnips.  And I love cooking wonderful, warming dishes with these foods from the garden.  Yeah, Autumn has to be just about my favorite season.  

And how did Mother Nature welcome Autumn to my neighborhood yesterday?  With rain. Lots of rain. Lots and lots!  We had drizzle all day with intermittent downpours of rain.  Flash flood warnings out all day and night.  So when it rains all day, what would any respectable quilter do?  I'm not too sure about the respectable part, but I made quilts! 

I managed to quilt up 3 sides of the final border of the geometry quilt and will get the last side finished today. Then I'll make up the label and stitch on the binding.  Plans changed yesterday and I need to have this ready to go tomorrow instead of Oct 1 as planned.  I'm so glad I was able to get as far as I did!  Bonnie and I  are meeting in Spooner for lunch and a chat and I'll turn it over to her then. As soon as I've finished with my part of this quilt, I'll continue working on the Quilt of Valor--I got a message from a friend of mine who's a long arm quilter, offering to quilt it up for me when I have it finished.  So that's the next one to get finished.

In between downpours yesterday I managed to step outside and take a couple of pictures of the planting bed we created in the front yard the other day.  Below is the side we can see from inside the house.  Along with the neighbor's garbage, ready for pick up!


And below is the side that's seen from the street.  The large rock was already in place when the tree came down and the other 3 were scattered around so we had the guy with his big back hoe lift them and place then alongside the large rock for a grouping. 


I'll be filling in all that bare ground with some day lilies, irises and monarda that I have in the back yard. And we'll plan bright annuals next spring to complete it all. And when my order of spring bulbs arrives, I'll get them in the ground as well. Can you imagine this planting bed filled with tulips, daffodils and crocuses next spring?  I think it will pretty up the neighborhood a little bit.  

Well, I'm off to finish the border quilting and then to take a decent picture so you can see what I've been slaving over this week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment