Sunday, October 30, 2016

Mug rugs and ice cream cones

I worked on both things in the post title--and embroidery as well. It was quite a productive day for me. :o)  

First on the day's agenda was hosting an ornament party in my basement.  Three fellow quilters came over and we spent the morning making these oh-so-cute ice cream cone ornaments.


Becky and Jo had bought up plain Christmas balls throughout the summer and we used that icing made of egg whites, powdered sugar and cream of tartar (that you use to secure the pieces of gingerbread houses) to create the "snow" on the cone and then colored sprinkles. After the cone was decorated, the icing dripped just enough to round off the edges and make it look like real snow drifts.  We ended up with 30+ large ornaments and 30+ tiny ones. They will all go up for sale at the country store in November.

We finished making all these cones before noon--"many hands make light work"--and I moved on to other tasks.  For once, I went for a walk before settling into my sewing room and it felt so good to be outdoors.  I've been so centered on making doll dresses and other things for the sale, that I've only stepped outside to get the mail or run errands. We've been having a very mild autumn with temps in the 50s and 60s and I don't think we've even had any frost.  (I'm waiting for a frost so I can harvest my brussels sprouts and get that job done.) I'll have to make more of an effort to get out walking while the weather holds.

After my walk around the neighborhood, I set to work copying a set of new embroidery designs to make up into pin cushions for the sale. I became familiar with Gail Pan designs when I found this book last summer and simply fell in love with it.  I've drooled over this book a lot but hadn't stitched anything from it.


On my way to retreat last week, I visited a new quilt shop and found more books by Gail Pan and ended up bringing this one home with me.  On the cover is a needle holder and inside are designs for 3 pin cushions.  And many other beautiful designs!


I copied out the bird on a branch shown in the upper part of this sampler (below) in the "Stitches from the Garden" book---


and copied the three pin cushion designs from the "Patchwork Loves Embroidery" book, shown in the lower left of this picture I took from Amazon.com.  


Last night, while watching TV, I finished one of the designs and most of a second one. Should finish the embroidery by tomorrow and can then stitch them up and get them finished.

Just wanted to show you these beautiful table runners that I want in my house--someday!--when the quilt event is over!--I hope!  The one below is from "Stitches from the Garden"


and this one is from "Patchwork Loves Embroidery."  I like them both so I guess I have my stitching projects lined up for quite some time! 


Martingale - Patchwork Loves Embroidery (Print version + eBook bundle)

Back to what I actually accomplished instead of all I want to accomplish! Someone donated a cocoa set of 4 mugs and a cocoa shaker. I found a pattern for 7" mug rugs made with appliqued snowmen so yesterday I got them fused to squares of aqua fabric that almost perfectly matches the color of the mugs.  Today, I'll get them fused and hopefully finished off and that's another thing that's off my to-do list.  If I have time, I'll try to make more of them to sell as sets of 4 without the mugs.


I also want to make a few more wine totes and coasters today so that task can be crossed off. Then I can return to making more doll clothes--especially the holiday dresses and fleece coats.  Even though the weather is mild here, it won't be long before the dolls will have to wear coats, just like their little girl guardians. And I know the dolls all want a pretty holiday dress, right?  LOL




No comments:

Post a Comment