Sunday, October 9, 2016

Pumpkin Table Runners

Whoa! What happened to Saturday!  Before I knew it, the day was done and I was settled in for an evening of TV when I realized I'd not posted anything! I began posting (nearly) every day about month or so ago and I find that I like doing that. It forces me to find something positive and uplifting each day when it's so easy these days to see only the dark side. And I'm not referring to the increasingly short daylight hours. :-)  Blogging about what I plan to do in a given day also helps me carry out those plans since I have to report to you the next day if I actually did what I said I was going to do.  So, yes, I enjoy posting on a daily basis, but I'm human and sometimes I simply forget to write something up. And I apologize for that.  I'll keep trying to do better.

So, on to yesterday.  No doll clothes for the past 2 days.  I've been taking a little break and made up 2 pumpkin table runners. As you may recall, a week or so ago, I made 10 of these 6.5" by 8.5" pumpkin blocks based on a pattern I'd found on Craftsy. But I didn't know what to do with them--how to turn them into something nice.  So they sat for a few days while ideas swirled around in my brain.  Just like a nice cut of meat, sometimes quilt blocks have to marinate for awhile before I can go on!


This is what I came up with.  I took this picture when I had 3 sides of the checkerboard attached. By the end of the day, I'd done the fourth side and put together the second table runner. I also found a fabric that works for the backing and got both runners sandwiched and pinned.  


It was too late in the day by then to begin quilting, so that's my task for today.  I hope to have them both quilted up and ready for binding by the time I sit down for my weekly dose of Poldark.

I rarely ever use orange in my quilting. I had these fabrics leftover from making scrappy pumpkin items last fall. I find that I really like having all this brightness in the sewing room.  I sew in a basement room with an extremely small window that I can't see out of since it's so high above me. This orange brightness has really lit up my sewing day.  Outside, it's been chilly and gloomy so orange is the color to embrace.  

In addition to quilting up the table runners, I hope to get out and plant some of the iris corms that are waiting for me.  Maybe if it gets a little bit warmer.  






No comments:

Post a Comment