Thursday, March 16, 2017

Solstice block

I spent yesterday afternoon in the sewing room, doing more un-sewing than actual sewing. I knew I had some Christmas fabric with cardinals in it that I wanted to fussy cut for the Solstice Challenge blocks that have a center focus.  So, first I had to find the fabric, and I actually was able to put my hands on it quite quickly.  The downside was that I'd already fussy cut it and sewn it up into an "I-have-no-idea-what-I-was-thinking" project that was left only half done. Easy enough to take it apart, but it took time.

At any rate, I was able to pick out the fabrics I wanted to use for the next Solstice block and make it up.  Take a look for yourself.


The dark green fabric was also in the original pieced thing and I think it looks quite nice in the block.  I had planned on making the next block as well yesterday, but ran out of time before I had to work on dinner.  Maybe today that one will get done.

I've realized that in the Solstice Challenge, Pat Sloan has thrown in several larger than 12 1/2" blocks that I don't really care for.  I'm leaving them out of my quilt, and if I find I'm short a couple of blocks, well, I can easily make up more of the 12 1/2" size. I usually turn to Quilter's Cache when I need directions for a certain block or if I'm looking for something to fit into a quilt idea I have.  So, no worries. I'll make this Christmas quilt happen!

I also want to share with you, the purchases I made while at the Stitch Supply Co. yesterday.  I found 4 fat quarters that will go in my stash of neutrals. Each one has cartoon animals on it--I guess I was in a critter kind of mood! I especially like the leaping cats!


I found this gadget in the knitting area of the store and picked up one for my friend who's a phenomenal knitter.  It's a needle sizer, in case you don't know the size of your needles. Single point needles are marked with their size, but not double pointed ones. With this little sheepy thingy, Bonnie will always know the size of her knitting needles. And if she already has one, I'll keep it for myself!  


I bought a spool of thread for quilting up the brightly colored wall quilt I'm making for a customer, but that's too boring to show.  This is the last cutesy thing I found  at the store--ribbon!  With bumble bees!  You may remember that I was involved with the Bee-utiful quilt along last summer and made this embroidered quilt.  Well, I took this image off Pinterest since I seem to have overlooked taking a picture of the one I made. Mine is similar.  

Bee-utiful QAL {Block 20 – Bee Friendly} and Wrap-up! « Moda Bake Shop:

My quilt is still in the flimsy stage--but high on the list of quilts that I want to get finished this year! When I saw this ribbon with the bees, I knew I had to have it for this quilt. I think I'll use it in the embroidered label I'll be making one of these days.  



A little house cleaning is calling to me today, and then it's into the sewing room to make Christmas blocks and to begin revising Jo's T shirt quilt.  

No comments:

Post a Comment