Monday, November 10, 2014

It's snowing, everyone!

Check out this view from my back deck. Snow!  So beautiful to look at and so nasty to deal with!  I'm very happy that I have nowhere I absolutely have to be today other than in my home.  There's not too much snow on the ground yet, but I expect we'll be getting more as the day continues.  The house across the street is an in-home day care and the kids were all bundled up in their snow suits this morning as they came running out of the house on their way to school!  Happy memories of my own kids doing the same thing.


My future DIL sent me an email asking for my son's sweet potato recipe so I sent it to her this morning.  I make it in a crock pot and it uses shredded sweets, coconuts, and pecans. I looked all over the internet for a picture I could post here and I can't find any exactly like the recipe I use so I got this one instead.  It's made the same way except here the sweets are cubed instead of shredded.  

Coconut-Pecan Sweet Potatoes Recipe

I absolutely love this dish! I never had any luck with the marshmallow topped recipe that so many people make, and when I found this in a Better Homes and Gardens slow cooker book back in the mid-90's, my family loved it as well.  I've been making this dish for Thanksgiving ever since. In case you're interested, here's the recipe:

Coconut-Pecan Sweet Potatoes (Double the ingredients and cook in a 5 or 6 qt crock pot)

2# sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 cup broken pecans, toasted
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp coconut flavoring
1/4 tsp vanilla flavoring
Toasted coconut--optional

In a 3 1/2 qt crock pot, combine sweet potatoes, brown sugar, margarine or butter, coconut, pecans, and cinnamon.  
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-4 hours. Stir in coconut and vanilla flavorings. Sprinkle with toasted coconut if desired. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

In searching the internet for this recipe, I found several others that are similar but include adding raisins and/or chopped apple. I may add some of those the next time I make this.  

Today, I have assigned housecleaning to myself.  It's been rather hit and miss the past few weeks in the housework department what with the trip to Maine followed by the quilt tour, so today I will begin thorough cleaning, room by room. I already took the handheld vacuum to the sewing room and not only vacuumed out my sewing machine, but also got at the cobwebs that were "bugging" me in the window! How's that for a pun/? :p)

As soon as I've finished my chores, I'm in the sewing room for the rest of the day. Got to get the last border on the Sister's Choice!  I also have to pack up Tessa's Colors of the Sea quilt and get it to the post office today or tomorrow.  

Oh, I almost forgot!  My toes and feet are still ugly and unpampered since I chose to spend last night with mind-numbing games on the computer!  What a waste of time!  I admit it--I'm addicted to Scrabble!  


1 comment:

  1. Your snow looks like a picture postcard. I imagine that first snow is a really exciting thing and then it all gets a bit old as winter marches on? I cant wrap my head around how people manage to drive and go about their normal business when Mother Nature dumps that stuff for months. Due to the novelty factor I’d probably spend three months making snowmen!

    If it makes you feel any better – its been so long since I did anything to my feet that it looks like I have dinosaur toenails.....

    ReplyDelete