Thursday, November 13, 2014

Yesterday, I headed out to my friend's house to spend the day working on a wool project.  Barb had made a small penny rug which she uses as a trivet on her table, and she shared the pattern with me and 3 others who had never worked with wool before.  I've never made a penny rug but I've done other projects with wool and I did tons of buttonhole stitching when I was appliqueing  this pattern from Bunny Hill Designs several years ago. Come to think of it, I never finished this project!  Another (forgotten) UFO, darn it!


And I had discovered a bin of wool fabrics that I'd accumulated many years ago when I was on a wool binge for awhile and would find wool skirts at the local Goodwill.  I'd wash them in hot, hot water, and rinse in hot, hot water, dry in the hottest dryer setting and then steam iron them flat.  Then I cut them apart and used them to make several wool lap quilts which have gone on to other homes.  I thought I'd disposed of all my wool when we moved last year, but thankfully, I overlooked the bin and so I had wool to work with yesterday.

The pattern calls for making 19 three layered pennies with each one also having a wool backing. The largest  circle is 2".  This is what I've got done so far:  12 of the 19, but none have the backing stitched on yet.


The pattern showed the thing done on black wool but I chose the brown that I had since I didn't have enough black for the project.  I also found my perle cotton and have enough of the rust colored thread but ran out of the pale yellow that I'm using on the first layer, and I know I'll need more of the brown that I'll use to stitch the backing layer on them.  When that's done, I have to whip stitch them together and call it good.  I don't have a single trivet in my house--I usually use a potholder--so this will be a nice thing to have here.

Thursday mornings the garbage people make their rounds in the neighborhood--between 4:30 and 5:30 AM!  Since the bedroom is on the street side of the house, I usually hear them when they pour the recyclables into the truck--ours and all the neighbors as well.  This morning, I became wide awake and got up at 5:45--way earlier than usual.  So, I went to the sewing room and did some work on this table runner I started the other day.  


 I got carried away as I was making the pumpkins and ended up with 6 of them instead of the 4 called for. So, do I make 2 runners of 3 pumpkins each or one runner of 4 pumpkins and 2 single pumpkin table mats? Or should I make 2 additional pumpkins and make 2 four pumpkin runners?  I'm open to any and all suggestions. (Sorry, but I can't make the picture turn around so it's right side up. So frustrating!)


I know it's a little late in the Autumn for this, but I'll use it until Thanksgiving at least. I'm looking forward to the bright orange on my dining table--should brighten things up a bit!  LOL

This morning, I'm determined to finish my housekeeping chores that have been pushed back every day this week. Got to get that kitchen cleaned before next week arrives!  Then a couple of errands this afternoon, including a stop at the Goodwill to see if I can find a black wool skirt, and hopefully some time appliqueing these pumpkins before dinner.  


1 comment:

  1. Any plans to finish that adorable but forgotten UFO?

    Your wool pennies look fantastic . That’s huge progress for one day!!!

    Im thinking two extra pumpkins and two table runners would be the way to go.

    ReplyDelete